Time for a little whine

Susanne27(5a Ontario Canada)June 22, 2014

Maybe a little wine as well, LOL. Earlier today I was out in the garden doing battle with the chafers and rose slugs that are skeletonizing my roses. While I was attacking the bugs, the bugs were attacking me - mosquitos, black flies and deer flies. I really hate a deer fly bite because they take chunks!
Add to that the extremes we now have in weather conditions and I am wondering why I bother at all. Fortunately I know that this is just a mini pity party and I will be back out in the garden tomorrow and loving it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bunnicula03(z6b NJ)

Well, I feel ya on the blood sucking bug attacks. I get mosquitoes so bad on warm summer evenings that I can't go out and work, they'll chase me back in.

Maybe a little wine is the key afterall....

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 8:01PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Stupid bugs.
I did this yesterday - and it worked.
I took some oregano that I was growing and rubbed it all over my legs and arms. The mosquitoes would fly in, then leave. ??? Maybe it worked??
Carol

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 8:32PM
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, this has already been a real bug fest season, hasn't it?! I was hoping the dratted polar vortex would have been good for killing off some of them but it doesn't seem like that's the case. If anything there are more than ever!

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 9:02PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Here, it's not bugs. It's that we no longer have rain, and our groundwater is increasingly problematical.

Perhaps I am truly insane. I have, after all, devoted much of my life to Dalmatian dogs. But I will keep going, using dishwater, where needed, and considering a greywater system for the future, because I MUST.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 11:01PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I too toss any, and I mean any, kitchen water, outdated milk, etc. into the garden. Our subsoil is drying out which is bad. About ? 30 years ago the drought was so bad and the subsoil got so dry that concrete foundations were cracking.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Osiria rose - slow grower?
Does anyone else have an Osiria? Mine is fairly new...
HollyKline
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™