Any way to remove Sooty Mold on leaves once it's started?
I've posted about my battles with aphids and my 22 year old little leaf linden here before. About a month ago I decided to try an Imidacloprid systemic that should finally give me the upper hand. It hasn't made its way to the leaves yet, though, and I have at least 10 to 20 aphids on EVERY leaf of the tree now. The leaves are coated with honeydew and sooty mold has begun to take hold.
Is there anything I can do to stop and remove the mold before the tree ends up becoming a huge mess and losing all its leaves early again? I've tried hard sprays of water to get rid of the aphids, but it's not enough and it doesn't clean off the mold.
Would insecticidal soap work to loosen the mold? How about ones that contain sulfur? Would the sulfur kill/prevent the mold? I'd rather not use anything very toxic.