Silver Sword Azela

marquest(z5 PA)August 26, 2011

Silver Sword Azela

Home Depot have these on sale for 4.00 so I picked up two. Just wondering.....

Anyone growing these? What is your opinion?

I know it is a shrub but from the stated mature size I would think people would use it in a flower garden as a low spring flowering perennial. It should do good with Spring bulbs and hiding the foilage after they bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wieslaw59

Do you mean Azalea? Azalea is a rhododendron so it demands very acid soil. I doubt it would thrive in average soil.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 1:26PM
duluthinbloomz4

For the price, I'd be willing to risk it. I'd be a little more worried about the zone hardiness for this particular variety though - more than I would be about soil type. Probably be a good idea to mulch them well.

Azaleas/rhododendrons of some type or another are pretty common from the Pacific Northwest to the Gulf states, through the South, the Mid-Atlantic, and on up through New England. We have some beautiful cold hardy types developed by the U of Minn that can withstand sustained cold to 40 below zero and some that will still set buds at temps below that. (Truth be told, these I have are much more interesting than the common fare every landscape in Maryland and Virginia had.) But that's just my opinion.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 3:19PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Could the plant referred to be Astelia "Silver Sword"? Here's a photo.

In z5 Pennsylvania this would need to be grown as a temperennial and either brought indoors over the winter or discarded (from what I've seen, it's hardy only in zone 8 or further south).

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 11:04AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Should've Googled a bit further. There's a variegated azalea named "Silver Sword", also dicey on hardiness (rated to zones 6-9).

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 11:05AM
marquest(z5 PA)

Thank you all for responding.

The planting zones maps say we are a zone 6 but we have some zone 5 winters so I usually stay on the safe side and go with zone 5. I could plant them close to the house and see if they survive. As duluthinbloomz4 said "for 4 bucks it will not be a great loss".

I will let you all know how it works out. I will be the test case. It is a pretty plant.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 7:20PM
siennact

I bought one about five years ago. It was not happy with my garden for some reason, dropped leaves, discoloring, etc. so I gave it to a friend who had a more shady spot for it. It's still not spectacular but it is alive. She said it bloomed better this year.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 4:42PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I went back to HD this weekend and all of them were gone. There will be a lot of test gardens in PA. They had about 50 of them. I guess everybody thought like me that for 4.00 give it a try.

They are gallon size and look very healthy. As I said I will see how they perform. I will put one in some morning sun and one in deep shade in a protected spot against the house.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™