Bug Larvae in Coffee Grounds

chaase1143September 4, 2012

Hi,

I dried out and put aside a supply of Starbucks coffee grounds a few weeks back and was planning to spread them over the lawn when I slitseed next week, but I discovered some white worm like creatures feasting on the grounds. I'm guessing it's some type of bug larvae but I can't identify it for sure. I haven't had much experience dealing with any type of insects so perhaps this is very common, but I was fascinated by the way they curl themselves up, then sort of "snap" open to move/jump about.

I'm hoping someone can identify it from the pic and tell me if it's something that I should be concerned with spreading over the lawn or anywhere in the garden. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lloyd

"I'm hoping someone can identify it from the pic"

Abe Lincoln?

;-)

Lloyd

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 6:32PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Again, Lloyd I have to agree with you, that is Abe Lincoln.
Or at least his likeness.
As for the worm, it is a fly maggot of some kind. I have tons of coffee waste compost & many grubs & food waste maggots have helped to make it compost.
It came a really heavy rain storm & drown thousands of these in a compost pile I had. Just put the coffee waste in your compost pile & the worms will do their job, in some ways they are better then earth worms. The grubs & maggots do the early work, but Red Wigglers like coffee ground in small amounts.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 8:10PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Chaase, you really don't have to worry about these maggots.....no matter 'who' they are. They are going to become breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all kinds of predatory species...you've enriched the banquet.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 9:29PM
TAB3230

I have question to coffe ground spreaders, have you ever seen your plants become brown leaves if you applied coffee grounds or mold spreads on your plants if you have grounds under them?

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 12:13AM
jolj(7b/8a)

I am not sure who coffee ground spreader is, but I have had white mold, a yellow mold & other fungi(??) of some kind in my compost.
It is turned under with any leaves, grass clipping I have at the time. I have never had a problem with raw coffee waste or partially composted coffee waste in the garden. I think complete totally composted coffee waste or anything else is best.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 6:56PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are those that think fly larva, maggots, are good in compost and manure piles and there are those that will tell you that due to the potential of disease transmission maggots are not acceptable in a proper compost pile.
Some people, apparently, get the Black Soldier Beetle (a beneficial insect that predates other insects) with the Black Soldier Fly which is a different species and the adult BSF serves no useful purpose except to mate and lay eggs the become the maggots the digest waste organic matter including manure.
One major reason Public Health people will fine you for having a compost pile is if they find maggots on that material, becuase flies are considered a health hazard.

Here is a link that might be useful: fly larva in compost

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 7:06AM
jolj(7b/8a)

Rats & roaches are more of a health hazard the flies.
All organic compost is more of a health hazard then chemical
fertilizers.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 1:57AM
oliveoyl3

no brown leaves from coffee grounds - make sure soil is moist before spreading mulch.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 12:44PM
organic_henry

These jumping maggots pose no threat to your garden. They are attracted to the oils in the grounds. Their jumping just after watering can be quite entertaining as they pop like popcorn. This is one of the flies used by forensic scientists to determine time of death; they are one of the last to visit a corpse.

Here is a link that might be useful: jumping maggots aka cheese fly

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Earth, The Operators Manual
This 3 part series may be of interest to some here. http://www.pbs.org/program/earth-the-operators-manual/ kimmq...
kimmq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™