newbie ..hot bed ..and confused!

ttsjam(8)February 7, 2013

I am a newbie but I decided to build a hot bed to get some of my flower seeds started. I just built it Sunday and put my seeds in it and I already have some stuff that is about 5 inches! It is doing amazing! But I am confused.
It has tons of condensation in it, I am pretty sure this is okay for the seeds but once they are seedlings does it need to dry out some? Do I even need to have it heated? We have been having temps in the mid 50/36- 70/45 (Louisiana weather). Alos on warm days it's a good idea to take the plastic off and let it get nice fresh air and sunshine right?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

What is a hot bed? I don't heat anything, just put the containers out and let nature take its course. You really don't want to get sprouts before they can survive naturally in your area. If I want something early I sow it inside. For most everything, however, I put the seeds in the jug, put them out in the cold and that's that.

I'd take the tops off during the day if it's routinely getting into the high 60s or 70s. What are the night temps? If they're also well above freezing then you probably don't need the tops at all. Also, what are you growing that it's five inches high in less than a week?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 6:38AM
pixie_lou

I think you might have better luck asking this question in the greenhouse forum.

This forum is for winter sowing - we plant our seeds in the middle of winter and let them sit out in the cold and snow until they naturally sprout. We don't use greenhouses or hothouses or cold frames. Just mother nature and a milk jug.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse forum

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:06AM
ttsjam(8)

Thanks for the info. The plant that has gotten so big so fast is a Brazilian Morning Glory.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
Does anyone have any experience wintersowing this species?...
ladyrose65
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™