How to tell difference between salvia and veronica?

gardenmom(z4 WA)August 23, 2011

I've lost the 'map' I made of my perennial beds. I have both salvia and veronica, blue and pink, and can't tell which is which. Is there an easy way to tell them apart?

I recognize my May Night salvia - the leaves are connected directly to the main stem with no leaf stem. But, I bought a Rose Queen salvia this year, and it has leaf stems. So much for that idea.

Can anyone help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Salvia is a member of the Lamiaceae (think Mint) family and members typically have 4-sided stems, opposite leaves and whorled flowers (tier-like).

Veronica is a member of the Scrophulariaceae (think Snapdragon), and also typcically has opposide leaves, but no 4-sided stems, and flowers are arranged in racemes (spike-like).

Focus on the stems. ;)

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 12:31PM
goblugal(7)

The scent is another easy way to tell them apart! Salvia nemorosa foliage has a very distinctive "cat-pee" odor...

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 12:36PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

or snap pix and post them here or in the name that plant forum ...

but then.. the camera is probably with the maps and cant be found.. lol ...

or simpler.. google both names and flip to the images side .... did the first one for you ... link below ...

ken

ps: best hint: get a good old fashioned clip board.. and a nail ... pound nail in garage wall ... hang clipboard on nail ... and always return it to the garage after drawing on it ... when i garden.. the first trip is always to the garage to get the saw.. and shovel.. pruning shears whatever.. so why not keep the clipboard there.. once ANYTHING comes in the house.. its lost forever ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Queen salvia

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 1:01PM
gardenmom(z4 WA)

Thanks. The 4-sided stems and smell made them easy to distinguish. Can't do pictures, I've cut back all the faded flower spikes. We had some folks 'caretaking' our place for a few years while we were gone. Unfortunately, there was more 'taking' than 'care' and I think the garden notebook was used by their kids. Lesson learned : NEVER rent to anyone.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
I got my bees!
My mason bee cocoons came in the mail today. I'm...
mxk3
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™