Cratfsman Tractor Will Not Start

Preacherman1November 23, 2012

Craftsman 917.254860 Briggs and Stratton model 422707. It first started with a jump only. After changing the Stator and using it to cut grass once, it will not start even with a jump. The engine spins slowly when i try to start it but will not fire up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluemower

One possibility is a worn out battery. Even after charging, the battery no longer has the capacity to deliver crankiing power. The clue is in your statement "It first started with a jump only".

Another possibility is resistance in the wire connections. Disconnect the battery to avoid sparks. Clean all the ends of the wire by wire brushing. With the battery wires removed, use a wire brush to clean the connection points on the wires. Clean the posts on the starter solenoid and the starter. The battery ground wire usually bolts to the mower frame. Even if this is tight, there may be resistance. Loosen the frame screw, clean and resecure. Tighten the engine mount bolts since they complete the electrical circuit.

A third possibility is the grade of engine oil. SAE 30 is specified for hot weather. SAE 10W30 is ok for cooler weather.

A fourth possibility is a dragging starter.

A fifth possibility is excessive compression from carbon in the cylinder heads. Valve clearance also affects compression.

The last two items are usually more work than more home owners want to attempt.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 12:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

I for one, am NOT going to bounce back and forth between 2 threads on the same tractor.
Especially after you asked and were advised NOT to start a 2nd thread!

Bye-

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Briggs and Stratton 25hp els OHV help!!!!
I got a this motor attached to a mover off a craigslist...
H&M Contractors
Hydrostatic Drive Problems??
Craftsman 20.5 HP Kohler Command V twin Under the seat...
jthievin
Tuff Torq K46 Tranny
I've been reading many of the posts on this site and...
tuco
Which lawn mower?
I posted this in the John Deere forum, but I'm wondering...
joe_ga
John Deere Or Cub Cadet?
I'm going to buy a new lawn tractor this Spring and...
cbmullen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™