Sequoia Semperviren

mastaxmyJune 9, 2007

I went to costco and bought sequoia sempervirens and realized when I got home that they are two different kinds. One is a Apots Blue and the other is a Soquel. Does anybody know if there is a significant difference between the two? I wanted to plant them next to each other and I don't want them to look totally different once they start getting bigger.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

They're fairly similar, should go well together.

Hope you've got plenty of space for them!

Resin

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 5:48PM
hald(Sunset 8)

I agree. They will go well together. I have some of each in my yard. One difference between them is the growth rate. Shearing the sides of the tree will tend to make them dense and allows control of their circumference and shape. They make wonderful privacy screens if you have the space.

Are you prepared for a tall tree? Some of mine were planted in 1983 and are approaching 100ft. One planted in 1991 is about 30 feet. One planted in 2000 is about 15 feet (planted in hardpan). Neighbors planted in 2002 (they water heavily) and theirs is about 30 feet. They can be rapid growers.
-Hal

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 3:05AM
poultryguy(5b)

Aptos blue has a nice blue-green leaf, it's branches tend to bend downward toward the tips. It tends to be a bit akward or gawky when it's young but fills out nicely as it ages. Soquel is a brighter green, it's branches turn upwards toward the tip and it's a nice full plant from the get go (usually). Other than that, they'll both grow around 15'-25' in diameter and reach for the sky in height.

Regards,
Dan

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 11:48PM
cascadians

Aptos Blue is supposed to tolerate standing water for brief periods better than the others. I planted 2 tiny Aptos Blues from forestfarm.com last September and they have doubled in size and are doing well -- better than any of the other coast redwoods I've tried.

Had a Soquel, very pretty, planted it last year in a creeklet and it drowned. They want watering but don't want to sit in a pool. They don't like below-freezing temperatures, and they burn when young in hot sun. Hard to grow but gorgeous tree if you can get it to survive.

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 7:57PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Neither is dwarf.

Here is a link that might be useful: APTOS BLUE COAST REDWOOD

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 5:59PM

Both are Saratoga Horticultural Foundation introductions dating from 1975 or earlier, so there should be some 30-year-old specimens around.

Here is a link that might be useful: SOQUEL COAST REDWOOD

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 6:03PM
mattroseville

I just planted a 15 gal. Blue Aptos in the back corner of my lot. We live in a typical new development in Roseville (Sacramento) which means everybody is very close. An arborist came by and said I'd be fine with the space; now that it's in I'm not so sure. How invasive are they? A problem for the backyard neighbor's pool, which is about 15 feet away?

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 10:49PM

Shade and litter would be the only problems for the pool. These annoyances are not going to commence overnight. First the tree has to get big enough.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
So happy that this is the 1st spring where I don't have......
Vole damage. Burying our fences underground 6 inches...
ilovemytrees
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
Fast growing trees in zone 8 or 9 Houston tx
We want to add trees in with our very old live oaks...
johnfam
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™