why just one rose

greengrass12(5)June 23, 2014

One branch shot up from the ground and produced pretty mr lincoln. There are many stems one or two inches at ground level but don't seem to grow. Is this the way it should be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Did you have to cut this rose back to the ground this spring because of winter die back? Chances are all those stumps with a few green leaves on them are from where you cut and that tall one with the bloom on it is a brand new cane that shot up this year. I have a number of roses that did the same thing. The leaves on the stumps came out first and have been feeding the plant so it could send out that new cane. Now it has more leaves and will start getting more food and energy and hopefully with some time and good care the rose will send up more new canes but right now it's working on building up energy to be able to do that. Keep it watered and give it some fertilizer and be patient.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 9:41PM
greengrass12(5)

hi Seil

This was a bare root that I bot at Walmart earlier this yr but you are exactly right that this rose is off a brand new cane. Actually you helped with the planting. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0415215915324.html
I watered every day for first week and now maybe every 3 days or so. Am I on the right watering schedule?

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 8:32AM
seil zone 6b MI

Not knowing your weather conditions I can't give you watering advice. I will tell you that watering deeper, less often rather than just a little frequently is the better way to go. Your rose looks perfectly healthy so I'd say you're doing OK!

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
New DA plants arrived!!
I got home from work yesterday and there was a big...
bethnorcal9
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Lilian Austin- Anyone Grow Her?
Does anyone have this rose? I am thinking of ordering...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™