botched rose tree

saltarelloJune 11, 2014

I am an amateur amateur gardener...we moved into a house with a very manicured garden which was high maintenance and over the past 5 years I have been filling in the giant garden with lots of hardy plants that need less care, well I bought a yellow knock out rose tree last year to add to the front garden and after the rough winter I noticed all of my regular rose bushes were growing but saw nothing with my tree, so, yes, I chopped it down. I didnt even dig it out because I didn't want to disturb the salvia and spiderwort and lilies....so fast forward a few weeks, yes, it has sprung up from the ground. MY question is, now what? It looks healthy and happy, but it's a stick with red leaves that's about 1.5 feet high, and I've been plucking the lower leaves off to encourage it into treeform again. Honestly, I just don't know what I'm doing!

Any help would be amazing! thanks, jaclyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

It sounds like you cut off the budded rose that died in the winter freeze. What you would have left would be the rootstock rose. Guessing Doctor Huey.

He is a semi double once bloomer with red petals if you want to wait and see. Sounds like you will have to wait a while anyway to dig the rest of him out of the soil

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:28AM
seil zone 6b MI

If it's Dr. Huey it won't bloom this year. It will bloom next year on the canes it grows this year. Although it can be quite pretty when it blooms it's not the best roses and is a disease magnet. Once you cut the top off your Yellow Knock Out was gone forever.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:45AM
saltarello

Thanks for your knowledge. I'm not sure about Dr. Huey. I bought it from Lowes...so I guess I will wait and see what happens. I'm wondering if I should have just let it be a few more weeks and not cut it.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:56PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Take into consideration that, if this is Dr. Huey (and I suspect Kippy's right) it will be an enormous once-blooming rambler with "iffy" disease-resistance.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 8:58PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Not sure what zone you are in, but if it was very cold, the tree rose might have been doomed so don't feel too bad. But Doc Huey can become a beast.

When I moved to my apartment (my garden is at moms) the previous manager had a rose she LOVED. I had to promise to care for it. It had a giant half rotten trellis. The seasons where Rust, Mildew, Sawflies (the little holes), and red blooms that lasted for what seemed like a few days. After a couple of years I had enough of that beast and cut it out. It had a root like my arm under the patio. I dug and dug and clawed and scratched and finally got the beast out.

I now know that her prized rose was Dr Huey..... There is more growing on the other side of the wall that I keep trying to explain to the gardener to remove it is a weed....but he leaves the palm trees too so what can I do

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
When a seller has the wrong picture, etc.
One rather large plant catalog with lots of pictures...
stillanntn6b
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™