Heliopsis 'Midwest Dreams' vs. 'Summer Sun'

summerstar(Z7VA)August 28, 2009

I planted Midwest Dreams instead of Summer Sun and wonder what the difference is between the two. 'Summer Sun' sends up new flower buds on either side of the oldest flower, but they get smaller and smaller in size. The flower stems are very tough and sturdy so the plants are upright. Does anyone here grow both?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

I've only grown 'Summer Sun'. From the sounds of descriptions, the only difference is that 'Midwest Dreams' is a little shorter.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 7:17PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

'Midwest Dreams' is a seed strain and its colour can vary from yellow to nearly orange, not on the same plant, of course. It may not be as vigorous as 'Summer Sun'. The flowers on 'Midwest Dreams' seem to also vary, from single to semi-double. Overall, I would recommend 'Summer Sun'. It has been around longer, and in my opinion, is a more reliable plant. I have another heliopsis named 'Ballerina' that is similar to the other two, and one I like very much.

Bookmark   August 29, 2009 at 12:17AM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I have not grown Midwest Dreams, but have had Summer Sun for years. A tough reliable plant. Also if you're looking for a shorter variety Tuscan Sun grows only 18 to 24 inches tall. Summer Nights and Prairie Sunset have deep purple stems and a wine/burgundy eye zone, 3-5 ft. tall. Lorraine Sunshine has green and white varigated leaves, the varigation becomes less distinct later in the season.

Bookmark   August 29, 2009 at 12:19PM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

I grow Summer Sun. Very heavy flowerer and a very upright habit. We had a lot of very heavy rainfall this summer and none of mine have flopped. They will seed (I started with three plants, probably have over thirty this year), but they're easy to yank out.

Bookmark   August 29, 2009 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™