New to forum and to starting from seeds

sugmag(5b)February 10, 2013

Hi everyone!! I am a newbie and can't wait to meet you all! I am not new to vegetable gardening, but I am new to starting my seeds indoors. I am on a mission to start my seeds in doors this year. I got this for my birthday and I am anxious to use it. Des anyone use anything similar? Do you use it indoors or outdoors. Any helpful links out there of rfirst timers on seed starting would be great!! Oh yeah here is tha t link to my. Mini greenhouse. http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/14138530?adid=22222222227010124327&veh=sem&wl5=pla&wl2=m&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl1=g&wl4=&wl3=13687839550&wl0=

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Sugmag,
Welcome to wintersowing. The concept of wintersowing is designed in order to be able to start seeds outdoors without the frustration, expense, mess, and space required to start seeds indoors under lights or with heat mats. Please read the FAQ which do a wonderful job of explaining the process. Basically, we use clear plastic containers with drainage holes in the bottom and ventilation holes in the top. We put 4 inches of potting mix or seed starting mix, moisten it and plant seeds into the container. We then put the container outside in the snow, rain, and wind and wait for the optimum weather to arrive for the seeds to sprout. The container protects the seeds from washing away in a torrential downpour or being eaten by hungry birds or other critters. It also helps maintain the appropriate humidity to maximize germination. The seeds will also usually sprout earlier than seeds planted out directly, because the potting mix warms up sooner than the ground. The containers themselves act as mini greenhouses. So, your purchase of the greenhouse could be used for either wintersowing or starting seeds indoors. The trouble with the greenhouse is that it keeps the seeds from receiving the rain and snow that keep it moist. If you winter sow the "traditional" way, you don't need to worry about watering until the weather warms up quite a bit.

Please do some searches of previous threads and other online sources for wintersowing. You'll find lots of info and lots of enthusiastic winter sowers. Good luck.

Martha

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Request: Please Share Your Sprout Pics!
My jugs are still buried under snow and I would love...
Mizzteek Z6 MA
Do you remember the 'red border' someone posted a few years ago?
I loved it and would love to try some amaranths. I...
thisbetty
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
NJ annua flowerl seeds
Good morning! Can I put out my seeds now? They are...
Karen Ulisse
Anyone has started winter sowing in Toronto?
This is my second year doing winter sowing. I started...
chipeony
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHP312 P Trap and Decorative Pop-up Drain
$169.00 | Blue Bath
kaarskoker Solid 4 in. x 7/8 in. Apple Red Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 RED-SOL
$9.78 | Home Depot
Sweet JoJo Designs Hot Dot Decorative Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
New Elegant Blood Red Heriz Hand Knotted Wool 3x5 Serapi Oriental Area Rug H5276
BH Sun Inc
Kichler Durham Antique Pewter Bath 2-Light
PLFixtures
Natural & Blue Strafford Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Bruck | Bobo 120V Down Pendant Light
$136.50 | YLighting
Vista Del Mar 13" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™