snow chains or tire studs??

wh312-8November 27, 2010

which one is the best?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

What is the Application for use . Automotive or Agricultural or Lumbering Sector lol . :)

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 8:54AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Living in snow country, in W. Pa., i have found that chains are good for deep snow, but can't be expected to wear very well, if used for long distances. Especially at higher speeds. No experience with Cable Chains.
Tire studs are good for icy conditions, and can be run at higher speeds like 50 or so. PA. allows studs only between certain dates, but the studded tires must be removed in early Spring. And, not used in summer, at all.
the preceding applies to light trucks and cars.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 12:23PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Since it's in the tractor section, I'll assume it chains on a tractor. Yes, I would use chains in any kind of snow or ice. If you get in deep snow, I think the chains no longer help.

Studded snows for cars are legal in PA from Nov. 1 thru about Apr.30. I have always used them on my van and I never heard about a maximum speed limit on them. They go 75 MPH with all the rest.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 5:14PM
wh312-8

Trying to decide which is best for my tractor, i have seen people using studs before and i have a set of chains on one tractor. i live in RI so you never know what to expect.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 5:15PM
ewalk

Never Heard of Studs on Tractors , Chains were the norm back on the Farm , different pitch for different usage , Ice Snow or High speed & Low speed applications such as Plowing or Trailer (Logs /Wood) Hauling .

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 7:09PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

You wnat 2 link chains so ride be softer 4 link bumpy.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 9:08PM
ewalk

Don't recall the actual number of link configuration Gator , but definately remember that the proportional size and pitch of the larger snow chains certainly provided a very rough ride as you have indicated. Useless for any high rate of speed even "Tractor Speeds" but did the job when you had to get back into the gnarly stuff in the winter for firewood lol .

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 5:22AM
More Discussions
Help! I'm in Safety Switch Hell
Craftsman Model# 917.272030 Engine stalls with clutch...
biggestdaddyo
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
JD 30inch mechanical tiller VS. 42 inch hydraulic tiller ??
I have read and posted different threads on these two...
cjsm5nys
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™