Solution for Gardenia Scales + Ants

akaurgardener(9)August 13, 2014

I have a beautiful yellow gardenia that is blooming well, but I just noticed that it has scales and a lot of ants.

I've been spraying with neem oil and washing off the ants, but I'm not sure if either of those help with scales.

Does anyone have a solution that helps rid gardenias of scales?

My gardenia is young (purchased this year), in a large clay pot, and I fertilize it with Hollytone. It's otherwise healthy, until the scales hit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karin_mt(4 MT)

I've had good luck controlling ants with Terro borax ant traps. Borax is non toxic.

Not sure about scales, maybe someone else can weigh in on that. (doh! nice pun)

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:47PM
grandmamaloy(7)

I think insecticidal soap will work. Here's one that gets rid of a bunch of things, including scales. I've used this brand for grasshoppers and aphids, and it works great. I had also tried making my own insecticidal soap, which didn't work as well, so then went searching and I had a friend recommend Safer Brand. I use NOCDOWN III (cedar based and organic) for ant issues. I hope this helps. By the way...Nice pun Karen!

Here is a link that might be useful: Insecticidal Soap

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:36PM
calistoga_al

Your oil should control the scale which is feeding the ants. When the scale is gone so will the ants disappear. Spray your oil weekly for at least 3 weeks, early in the morning when the foliage is cool. Al

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:50AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would prefer a picture.. and an actual ID of the pest .. before we rely on the diagnosis ...

killing scale with oil.. is extremely hit and miss ... and timing is imperative ...

ignore the ants.. if in fact the problem is scale.. than the ants are eating the honeydew they produce... get id of the scale.. [or aphids].. and the ants go mind their own business ...

if you can not post a pic.. then cut off a small branch.. and take it to a local high end nursery ... as compared to bigboxstore ...

ken

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:01AM
akaurgardener(9)

Thanks to everyone who has responded!

Here is a picture:

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™