stinging nettles

vmarcos68(8A)September 14, 2009

Is it possibly to deny or confirm that stinging nettles is good for compost anyone? I have read somewhere that it can be utilized effectively in compost tea. If that is correct, would it be equally nutrient rich in solid compost? I am mostly concerned that it will propagate the stinging nettles when I go to use the compost as I get a strong allergic reaction to it and it does send runners which appear to be evasive.

Is this or any other plant possible to identify as a compost accelerant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Stinging Nettles can be a good addition to the compost, just as any plant would be. As long as the roots, or viable seeds, are not put into the compost there should be no problem with spread.

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 6:50AM
luckygal(3b)

I think any fresh, green, leafy plant will help the decomposition process. The way to improve decomposition is the *correct* amounts of greens and browns. I've used blood meal to speed things up but it made the mix too heavy in nitrogen and it became smelly, I had to add more browns. Obviously I used too much.

Nettles have attained a reputation over centuries for making good compost because they were a common herbal used for healing. So people grew them, drank the tea, and also made tea for their gardens and composted them. I'm sure they contain many valuable properties.

If you are concerned with sprouting you could make nettle tea first and use the spent plant material in the compost and the tea as a foliar spray or soil drench.

Have a look at the link posted for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: check out myth #10

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 10:50AM
heather38(6a E,Coast)

my dad through them on, they have a very pretty purple flowers, and molded every British persons childhood, Pullovers for goalposts, Spam for Tea, Tadpole in a Jam jar, scuffed knees and hands and arms covered in nettle stings...happy days...
Thought I would share with you this peculiar English Competition!
I did laugh my socks off when the landlord of the pub said the original participants are dead now! I wondered how long there was between the competition and death? :)
PS Tea is our early evening meal! not that we made tea from spam...that really would be stupid!

Here is a link that might be useful: World stinging nettle championship

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 8:36PM
rain2fall(8/Oregon)

Nettles are good for eating. The sting and the sharp needles go away as soon as they are steamed. I wouldn't waste good stinging nettles on compost. I'd make myself a salad!

Rain2Fall

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Hapi-gro 100% Organic Compost
Can I plant straight into this?
Elbourne
Using mushroom spawn or spores
How do I add mushroom spore or spawn to raised bed...
digsindirt1
New raised bed garden
I'm putting a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Should I use this compost?
I usually purchase mushroom compost for my garden....
tropitango
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
Sponsored Products
Spike Vase in Clear
$11.99 | Dot & Bo
Sage & Co Sage & Co. Mountain Pine Garland
Overstock.com
London Scented Candle by Tom Dixon
$80.00 | Lumens
Small Mason Bee House
$9.99 | zulily
Tom Dixon | London Scent Candle - Large
$160.00 | YLighting