Tell me how to rot a tree stump out.

ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))February 21, 2009

Make a large tree stump (that is still attatched to the roots)

a planter?

I have a tree trunk from a sugar maple it got to 3 trunks wide before heart rot killed it.

It's been cut down for 2 years. I normally place a planter on it.. but I got a wild idea...

What is the best way to hollow it out to make a planter?

How would you selectively rot it out in the middle?

DH is thinking boring holes and a chicle... I am thinking hot charcoal briquettes applied every few inches.. char it,bore/chisel/heat bore chisel..

What do you think? IS there a forum I should be asking this in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Either would work, all depends on how much work you want to do.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 2:35PM
ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))

as little as possible really.... I'd like to used it this spring

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 3:06PM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

I think I'd actually 'build' onto it, assuming the stump isn't way off the ground. Take some small pieces of 2x4s or 2x6s, and nail them into the stump in a circle, then fill it with compost, and plant some shallow-rooted annuals. It'll rot out eventually, but you can also dig out around the stump about a foot or so to put flowers AROUND the stump, which will hide your new 'planter' that you built.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 5:45PM

It's tall... about 3/4 feet tall... I could build on it and cover it with moss. Or train a Morning glory vine around it...hmmmm....

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 6:37PM
wiley0(4a)

Is that 3/4' tall or 3 or 4 feet tall?

I'm guessing 3 or 4 feet tall.

Well, if you are allowed a wiener roast in your area then I would drill a few holes in the center. let some oil soak into the holes and then build a small fire on top of the holes.

I make ash for my garden on a city lot by having a small campfire ring in my front yard. I burn some scrap wood, limbs, and firewood. next to me are marshmellow, and wieners, buns etc. I haven't been cited or checked on by the police or fire dept as I am attending the fire. Actually, campfires are allowed in the city if you follow certain rules. I keep it small but I do get some good ash for a compost pile and I know what went in there.

Once you have a center hole burned in you could chip out a round hole or redrill and burn deeper.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 7:36PM
sweetkountry

What would happen if you put some high nitrogen fertilizer on it? That should speed up the decomp, but probably not fast enough to use it this year.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 8:09PM
busylizzy(z5 PA)

I don't know how a maple is compared to a cherry tree stump, gees I have this cherry tree stump that is 2 inches off the ground and I have tried everything to get it below soil level so I can mow there. This has been there for decades. I finally have given up and going to get pavers and ring around it for a fire pit.

Yours is taller than mine so if you have wood bits for your drill, how about drilling holes on the sides for plantings with moss and peat and putting a container on top.
Kind of like a sudo strawberry pot?

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 8:01AM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

Here's a thread from the Texas Gardening forum on using sugar:

Here is a link that might be useful: Using Sugar to kill a stump

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 12:07PM

ohhh busy lizzy... you are on to something there.. I can get DH to buy in if it meas he needs to buy a specail tool to do it...

Sugar eh? who'da thunk....

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 4:37PM
jmc7104

If hany with tool an electric chain saw might be considerably faster than drilling and chisling would be but be aware that there is a higher chance of injury with chain saw unless one has some experience with same. Reason for saying electric over gasoleine is ease of use. If experienced with chain saws then gas is more powerful and faster. Have done what you describe with both methoids. Ps. Stumps don't last very long once you start growing plants inside cut-out. jim

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 7:43AM
busylizzy(z5 PA)

Those wood hole tools for a drill aren't too expensive, mine has 3 different sizes. Bought it years ago when I was making gourd birdhouses.

I would worry about kickback using a chainsaw for making holes, they aren't designed for that, you would have to use the tip, and unless your a chainsaw artist I wouldn't try it. Even an eletric chainsaw is till a chainsaw. I used electric for ice carving, but that is differentstory for wood.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 10:22AM

um yeah No chain saws here...Thanks tho Jim. I know it won;t last forever...but it'd would be neat for now..

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™