John Deere 317 drive shaft

lug_nutt(NE IN.)December 6, 2010

My John Deere 317 has a bad u-joint in engine side of drive shaft. JD only sells it as a complete shaft assembly. pricey. I have the tools to rebuild shaft, but could use some info on the u-joint part number and where to purchase? Maybe someone has a used one around for sell. found 1 on ebay but they have it priced to high, as much as new one:-( This is my lot tractor for plowing, So it essential I get it going soon. thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

When an OEM decides to service sub-assemblies as a unit (shaft assembly) instead of individual component items (U-joint), it often means that the constituent parts are proprietary to that OEM and that application.
If your immediate locale has a specialty "Driveshaft Shop" it might be possible to obtain a replacement U-joint there.
They will need the shaft with an intact U-joint to measure in order to determine what will fit.
In this case, the shaft with one U-joint still in place, and the defective U-joint removed (but take the cups and trunnion with you too) will make it simple for them to measure. Good luck!

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
transmission clean and do not overwork
I have a Dumb question about that phrase. Exactly what...
krnuttle
JD 30inch mechanical tiller VS. 42 inch hydraulic tiller ??
I have read and posted different threads on these two...
cjsm5nys
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
Dead cylinder
So I have a Briggs & Stratton Engine model number:...
RebornGreen
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™