I learned a hard lesson!
I failed to do something this year, that I should have taken the time to do and I learned a hard lesson. It is a step that when I plant roses I know I should do and sometimes I have, but not always. Usually it works out okay, but this year it didn't and while I am embarrassed, I feel like I should be honest. When I planted my bare roots I didn't mound them like you are supposed to until you begin seeing signs of growth. Most of them survived, but I can tell several of them aren't going to make it. I know better than to skip this step, but then I guess since most of the time it doesn't seem to make that much difference, I guess I thought it was okay to skip it, lesson learned. At first I blamed Edmunds, which were the first ones I planted, but when some of the others didn't make it, I knew what the culprit was, my own laziness. We've had some tremendous winds this spring, so that didn't help. There is no way I can justify skipping this step and I never will again! So for the ones that didn't make it, I will replace them next year and do it right!