rose disease

roselewJune 22, 2014

Hi there hoping you can help or direct me to someone who can. I have some Cecil Brunner climbing roses. planted 3 years ago and have been growing like gangbusters since. planted on a northeast facing part of the home since very hot summers here. However in the last few weeks have been noticing leaf drop- leaves yellow with black spots.black spots happen first then leaves yellow and drop. canes covered with black splotches and some with lichenified brown material to them. all canes affected down to the ground- didn't catch it early enough. I live in the mojave desert in california so not very moist. has been no hotter than 97 degrees so far this year- most day have been mild 70-80 degree temps. unseasonably dry this year as well. originally when my plants were thinning i thought it was too dry so i watered and fertilized. then noticed large bites out of leaves- assumed insect(leaf-cutter bee?) so blasted leaves with water- wrong thing to do- i think made
it worse. i suspect black spot or anthracosis or cancer or all. attached some pictures to see the devistation. my biggest question is: i know pruning away the diseased parts is necessary but that would cut my bushes down to the ground and likely still would not fix it since the canes are affected down to the bare root. applied neem oil last week. do i need a stronger antifungal or do i just cut them back, rip them out and start over? any help would be appreciated. thanks laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

That LOOKS like downy mildew -- but that would be weird, because it is most-common where conditions are cool/dank. (Which is why I've seen so much of it.)

Can you post images of some leaves with the spots?

(If you have a flatbed scanner, that will make excellent images of leaves.)

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
NEVER plant a wisteria and kill it when it starts growing!
Our local electric co-op just came out and took down...
particentral
Beauty of Glazenwood
Starting to bloom. Tough to photograph. Picture taken...
deervssteve
Reine de Violettes
I dug it up and moved it two years ago. It was own...
deervssteve
Help, something eating the tips of my rose buds
Help. I don't have a camera, so I will try to describe...
nickjoseph
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™