Help with Floribunda

gardenbug(8b)June 11, 2014

Hi everyone. Last year I planted a floribunda called " Brothers Grimm Fairytale" ~ It's beautiful and full of roses but I'm finding the branches are so long that they collapse (like a hydrangea) I'm wondering if the branches are strong enough to hold the roses up? What can I do please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

You could put a support of some kind and tie the canes to it to hold them upright. Maybe a peony hoop would help but that might be harder to get on it. If they're new young canes they should get stiffer with age and that will help.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:41AM
buford(7 NE GA)

Welcome to the Fairy Tale Roses. I have Caramella, and it does the same thing. I have it 'pegged' meaning I've bent the canes downward and tied the tips to lower canes. This also gives you more flowers, like a climber.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 12:53PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

These should have been classed as shrub roses rather than floribundas.

You can stake the canes up until the blooms fade, then cut them back so they can support themselves and some new growth, or else "self-peg" as buford suggests. If the plant is growing strongly, I would prefer pruning, as self-pegging produces an artificial shape, "origami roses," as a person here put it. However, pegging conserves all the leaves and stems, allowing the plant to grow faster.

Repeated pruning for a few years will produce a well-branched, bushy plant that will behave better.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 1:27PM
gardenbug(8b)

Okay, this is awesome. You folks are so helpful. Thank you. Since I'm fairly new to rose growing, I think I'll put a couple of stakes in where the branches have drooped to the ground. Tie them to the stakes and when the roses are faded, I'll cut the branch back. I'm just not sure where to make a cut or how far back? Thanks again for helping me.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 6:28PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Cut back to where it can stand up by itself. Maybe halfway.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Mrs. B. R. Cant
Here are some cuttings of MBRC I started in November,...
thahalibut
Looking forward to SPRING FLUSH!
The past couple of weeks my rose bushes have begun...
sara_ann-z6bok
Is this the dreaded Rose Rosette?
I only recently found out about RRD but I thought that...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
NEVER plant a wisteria and kill it when it starts growing!
Our local electric co-op just came out and took down...
particentral
Speckled canes?
Hi all, I was out looking at all the lovely new growth...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™