Earlybird Cardinal Daylily?

rouge21_gw(5)August 15, 2013

The description of this daylily is glowing. Does it live up to its press clippings in a real garden ie early blooming and multiple reblooming?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
molie(z6 CT)

Did you also post on the daylily forum? Someone there should be familiar with it.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 4:49PM
rouge21_gw(5)

For sure a good suggestion molie. Off I go.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 5:55PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

I have it in a pot at the nursery, and it has bloomed and re-bloomed all summer. Nice colour.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:40AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Mine is blooming in its first year. So far I'm not overly impressed, but then I shouldn't be criticizing it this soon. Next year will be the test.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:17PM
justmetoo(z5 IL)

Earlybird Cardinal is ok. I wouldn't go all out and claim 'glowing'.

I think the best selling points on the daylily is it's from Mr. Apps (I'm never disappointed in performance of his releases after a couple of years of settling in) and it's color blooming at an initial time when most early early are yellow shades.

Earlybird went off this year right about when Happy Returns did in my Central Illinois zone 5 garden. Happy Returns is just now starting it's second bloom this season as is Earlybird Cardinal. Another of Apps very early is Apricot Sparkles. Apps' Rosy Returns in my opinion does not rebloom as much as the others I've mentioned, but it does rebloom.

If you're looking for a dropdead, knock your socks off daylily, well this one isn't going do it for you. But if it's variety of early color , a good first performance along with a decent second bloom later in the season, Earlybird Cardinal will do the job. In my garden though I have noticed that the second bloom scapes do not rise as tall as the initial bloom.

I think for you it going to depend on what you're expecting out of it, your placement of it and what else is going on in that section of your garden at the times it does bloom and rests before rebloom.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
Does Anyone Do Mixed Perennial Containers For The Deck/Patio?
As opposed to annuals? I've been seeing some pretty...
catkinZ8a
Need help with Chrysanthemum please?
Last fall I purchased a nice mum from my local nursery....
gardenbug
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™