Help ID Two Plants

achang89(Z6)August 23, 2014

I just dug those wild flowers from my yard. Do not know what they are, annuals or perennials. I like the flowers.

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

First picture is black-eyed susan (Rudbeckia). Generally it's a self-seeding annual altho' there may be a few perennial cultivars. Don't know the name of #'s2.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:20PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

2nd one looks like Impatiens capensis. You might want to read up about that one. I think it may be a rampant self sower.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:00PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I agree, Kevin, that the second is Spotted Jewelweed/Orange Touch-Me-Not (to give some of its common names....). It is an annual that prefers damp places and self-seeds vigorously via exploding seed pods - hence the touch-me-not name...

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:37PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Yeah, I capensis is what the shape looks like..the color is more like a brightly colored I pallida though.
I wonder if it could be some kind of hybrid ? I've never seen capensis that isn't orange..at least dull orange.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:58PM
achang89(Z6)

Great. I thought Black-eyed Susan is a more robust plant.

I found the capensis in the wild. Since it is an annual, I'll need to figure how to save the seeds. The plant is very tender.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:21PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I've seen the impatiens growing in the wild in boggy areas. All the plants were very large - 3 feet or over and looked beautiful in that setting. I have a feeling they are not going to look as good in a regular garden. Some plants just need to stay where they originated.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:42PM
gardenweed_z6a

I grew multiple black-eyed susan cultivars from seed via winter sowing back in 2010 thinking they were perennials. I've since learned they aren't. Since they continue to self-seed and bloom each season in my garden beds, they behave like perennials. That says "robust" to me.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 10:02PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

If that is indeed jewelweed, and it looks like to me, just a warning that in nature it can often be found near poison ivy - and is supposedly a treatment for it as well. So if you are planning on digging more out, just be careful where you stick your hands. :)

A friend of mine has big swaths of this growing along a streambank in the back yard. I have to agree with Kevin on this one - it looks actually rather nice in its spot, even though most consider it a weed, but I don't think I personally would move it to a garden. Besides, it seeds rather prolifically and would probably take over any bed its in.

Dee

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:00AM
achang89(Z6)

I believe the 2nd one is jewelweed. I found some of them in our wild area with swamp rose, milkweed and many other plants. This is close to drainage stream.

I just found the flowers appealing. I'll keep them in my flower bed for a year to see how they look.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Mail Order Question
I would like to order some perennials on line as we...
huckdog1
Astilbes
I got a bag of Astilbes from Costco, I'm in wa state...
kaesgarden
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Please tell me about baptisia?
I've occasionally seen these plants in local gardens,...
twrosz
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™