Help ID Two Plants

achang89(Z6)August 23, 2014

I just dug those wild flowers from my yard. Do not know what they are, annuals or perennials. I like the flowers.

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

First picture is black-eyed susan (Rudbeckia). Generally it's a self-seeding annual altho' there may be a few perennial cultivars. Don't know the name of #'s2.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:20PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

2nd one looks like Impatiens capensis. You might want to read up about that one. I think it may be a rampant self sower.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:00PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I agree, Kevin, that the second is Spotted Jewelweed/Orange Touch-Me-Not (to give some of its common names....). It is an annual that prefers damp places and self-seeds vigorously via exploding seed pods - hence the touch-me-not name...

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:37PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Yeah, I capensis is what the shape looks like..the color is more like a brightly colored I pallida though.
I wonder if it could be some kind of hybrid ? I've never seen capensis that isn't orange..at least dull orange.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:58PM
achang89(Z6)

Great. I thought Black-eyed Susan is a more robust plant.

I found the capensis in the wild. Since it is an annual, I'll need to figure how to save the seeds. The plant is very tender.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 8:21PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I've seen the impatiens growing in the wild in boggy areas. All the plants were very large - 3 feet or over and looked beautiful in that setting. I have a feeling they are not going to look as good in a regular garden. Some plants just need to stay where they originated.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:42PM
gardenweed_z6a

I grew multiple black-eyed susan cultivars from seed via winter sowing back in 2010 thinking they were perennials. I've since learned they aren't. Since they continue to self-seed and bloom each season in my garden beds, they behave like perennials. That says "robust" to me.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 10:02PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

If that is indeed jewelweed, and it looks like to me, just a warning that in nature it can often be found near poison ivy - and is supposedly a treatment for it as well. So if you are planning on digging more out, just be careful where you stick your hands. :)

A friend of mine has big swaths of this growing along a streambank in the back yard. I have to agree with Kevin on this one - it looks actually rather nice in its spot, even though most consider it a weed, but I don't think I personally would move it to a garden. Besides, it seeds rather prolifically and would probably take over any bed its in.

Dee

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:00AM
achang89(Z6)

I believe the 2nd one is jewelweed. I found some of them in our wild area with swamp rose, milkweed and many other plants. This is close to drainage stream.

I just found the flowers appealing. I'll keep them in my flower bed for a year to see how they look.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Does Anyone Do Mixed Perennial Containers For The Deck/Patio?
As opposed to annuals? I've been seeing some pretty...
catkinZ8a
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
pulsatillas
anemones was a better name
daves10z7annv
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
Sponsored Products
Green Tropical Zigzag Family-Size Insulated Tote
$12.99 | zulily
Boxwood Cone Topiary in Green Urn
$879.00 | FRONTGATE
Trim Cut Shears
| Dot & Bo
Fosters Point Bowl With Succulent Log Snake Planter
Beyond Stores
ViaVolt 2 ft. T5 High 4-Bulb Output Black Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture with Ti
Home Depot
Square Resin Leyla Urn Planter - A695533
$328.50 | Hayneedle
Silk 20-inch Mini Calla Lily Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Herb Dickinson 'Gerber Time II' Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™