Rescue for bark-stripped maple?

weeper_11(2b SK)June 24, 2009

I have a silver maple that I planted last year. This winter some deer came and either rubbed or ate a fair bunch of the bark off its trunk. This spring it leafed out fine, and I was hoping the bark would just scab over and heal itself. So far though, it hasn't. Now that the summer heat has set in, the tree has been looking quite wilted, and a few branches have even lost their leaves. I've been watering it deeply at least once a week, but as soon as it gets hot, it looks wilted again. I'm guessing it might be loosing a lot of moisture through the raw trunk.

Is there any way to save this tree? Or do I have to watch it slowly defoliate and die?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you dont have to watch it.. cut it down ...

healing over.. can take years, depending on the injury ...

you fail to state how big the wound is.. in relation to the size of the tree ... any chance of a picture ...

are we taking 90% of the circumference??? give us a few more specific facts ...

given its a maple ... it will probably sprout from below the wound ... if the top becomes terminal ... whether or not you will allow that to happen is up to you ...

ken

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 7:38AM
weeper_11(2b SK)

The stripped bark probably goes about 90% of the way around. So I'm not sure if that is enough to girdle a young tree or not. I'm guessing if it is wilting like it is, it's a gonner. The bark stripped area covers probably a third of the entire trunk.

I've noticed that it does have a small shoot at the base of the trunk. So if I left it and later pruned off the main trunk, I would have a clump for silver maple instead of a standard? Would there be any way I could train a new leader?

Would allowing the tree to grow from shoots make it a weaker tree?

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 8:59AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

The stripped bark probably goes about 90% of the way around. So I'm not sure if that is enough to girdle a young tree or not.

Probably. Not 100% but more like 97.875%. The 2.125% is in hopes all the stars and spirits align and your sacrifice to the tree gods is heard and you haven't harmed any sprites in your life. ;o)

Dan

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™