Sears Suburban ST12

texas_lawn_ranger(9bTX)December 16, 2007

Hey gang, a 1972 Sears Suburban ST12 came up for sale recently. Anybody know what engine would be on it (Tecumseh or Kohler)? What attachments are available for it? I appreciate any information anyone may have on this type of tractors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

Post some numbers! They will tell us what year, model, type, and other info. Most of those older tractors had Tecumseh, but in the past years, it may have been changed.
The engine numbers are usually stamped into the top engine/ flywheel cover. Will be Type, Code, Model, or other things. The serial number sticker or plate which tells us about the main tractor frame assembly, may not have survived the years, but look around, in, under everything for it. you might get lucky!
there are a number of folks here who can give lots of info on those tractors, so keep looking.
Rustyj

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:35PM
sergeant(5aIL)

This site may help answer your question

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage sears suburban

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 3:04PM
tomplum

Thanks to Sergeant for the link! I looked up the tractor (well at least the yard tractor)that I grew up on and learned to mow with. It was a 68 SS12 according to the site. Nice trip down memory lane. That particular machine had a cast iron Tecumseh, high/ low range transaxel, deck, single stage snow thrower that worked well, trailer etc. The front axle had a good deal of pivoting range and felt secure on slopes.My step dad would probably still be cutting with it today if he were alive.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 5:00PM
sergeant(5aIL)

Your welcome

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 9:53AM
steve2ski

I owned a 1973 Sears ST10 from 1973 till I sold it in 2002. Engine was a Tecumseh (10 hp cast iron) ran as good as the day I sold as the day I bought it new. Great little tractor.

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 12:39PM
mcrikid

can anone tell me about my tractor sears suburban ser#11102

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 9:09AM
signman3331_cableone_net

I have an old Sears Suburban with a 12 hp Tecumseh engine that has a dead magneto. Is there any way to put battery ignition on this machine? It's an early electronic ignition system. If it had points I could put a coil and condenser on it, but it has no points.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best regards, J Mason

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:56PM
Sears_man1

J Mason i have a 1972 model sears and u can not install a battery ignition on the engine your best bet is to go on sears parts direct and enter your engines model number and order a new magneto

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 4:32AM
exmar

If you go to my tractor forum and then go to Craftsman it's full of guys with vintage suburbans, etc. Lots of good info there. GW won't let me post a link.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 11:38AM
bill_kapaun

Anybody notice this is a 3 year old thread?

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:09PM
larso1(So. CO Zone 5)

exmar, I have been posting links using the optional link URL provided below, no problem. Things may have changed... I have it entered below...

Here is a link that might be useful: My Lawnmower Forum

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
STX46 is dead
I have tried MANY things over the past year to get...
MPinNC
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
transmission clean and do not overwork
I have a Dumb question about that phrase. Exactly what...
krnuttle
John Deere SRX75 Rider Issue
I have an old Deere SRX75 30" rider with a Kawasaki...
itzbinnice
Craftsman FS 5500 clutch issue.
With the engine running, when attempting to drive forward...
mrgizmos
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™