What kind of Cassia tree is this?

ChiropteraJune 11, 2011

I took this picture today. It looks like a Cassia, but I can't tell which kind. The leaves are narrow and the petals are wrinkled. It's not like a golden shower tree I've seen before.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2q8x6xg.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayelle2u(7)

http://www.mccabesnursery.com/A%20Flowering%20Trees/Cassia_Gold_Medallion.htm
Does this look like it? Golden shower/ gold medallion?

Here is a link that might be useful: McCabes Nursery Cassia photo

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 5:54PM
kayelle2u(7)

I think I am spose to use the scientific lingo

Cassia leptophylla

Gold Medallion Tree

I couldn't really see the wrinkles in the link I sent before, but this is a little closer version and it looks a bit wrinkled.

Here is a link that might be useful: kartuz cassia photo

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 6:17PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Kayelle,

Can you tell us how you narrowed it down from all the other possibilities (especially without a lot more info than we have here)? I'd even like to know how Chiroptera knows it's a Cassia.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 6:54PM
kayelle2u(7)

well to be honest brandon, since you obviously want to pick me apart from our recent posts... I viewed a lot of Cassia images and all of them were very narrow petaled. This one had the width of the petals as her photo. And when I viewed a closer image, I found the wrinkles. However since nobody bothered to acknowledge her post for several days, I thought I would google some images and possibly help her. No fret, you can have your site. I am done. While you find pleasure in harassing newbies, I don't find pleasure in getting slammed every time I post, so it's all yours, I will not be back. Plenty of tree forums out there if I need any info. You can reply for your own pleasure and all the other pros out there, but you will get no pleasure from my reaction because I will not see your post. Obviously you will be looking for me every time to belittle me. weeee weeee me all the way home.

pinky

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 7:41PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Hmmm, I guess that's for the best, Pinky. You seem overly emotional, and, giving wrong answers without even an explanation or caveat can throw a wrench in the gears.

Obviously, the identification of this tree is still in question. eFloras has a very limited Cassia key (I don't even think C leptophylla was included). The only way to really find out what this tree is, is to have someone very familiar with the species (assuming it's a Cassia) see something familiar, or, getting enough info to work through a Cassia key. Maybe someone can provide such a key, either online or in print.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
So happy that this is the 1st spring where I don't have......
Vole damage. Burying our fences underground 6 inches...
ilovemytrees
Prunus mume are blooming in the South.
Pictures taken on February 3, 2015 at Wuhan (capital...
jujujojo_gw
Beautiful Trees In Bloom Around My Neighborhood.
Here is the Yoshino Cherry Tree(i think) next door....
tlbean2004
Fast growing trees in zone 8 or 9 Houston tx
We want to add trees in with our very old live oaks...
johnfam
need suggestions for trees
looking for ornamental small evergreen shade tree for...
sherylraeh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™