More in praise of 'Quietness'

Ispahan Zone6a ChicagoJune 12, 2014

Once again, my own root 'Quietness' is impressing me with its vigor, elegance, hardiness and resilience. The cold, cold winter left it with more die back than normal--about 50% die back whereas in a "normal" winter here there is usually none at all. After pruning out the dead wood and shaping up the bush a bit, 'Quietness' has not missed a beat and now you would never have guessed that it had any winter die back at all, having bounced back to a very full 4' x 4' almost overnight! It is now starting its first flush of blooms and, possibly because of the cool spring weather, the fragrance is much stronger and sweeter than normal. Every bloom is always perfect, I have never seen a blemish on any leaf in any season (I don't spray at all), it doesn't seem to attract many insect pests and I have never seen a modern rose with such a wonderful growth habit--always balanced and symmetrical and well-foliated from top to bottom. The silvery pink color of the swirling, quartered blooms is practically perfect in every way, and in very cool temperatures, it sometimes has the very faintest touch of salmon in the center of the blooms--never garish, always beckoning. If I could only grow one rose--not such an impossibility given that I am becoming pickier and pickier about which roses meet all of my requirements--I am certain it would be 'Quietness'. It is the only rose I have ever grown that garden visitors will point to, take photos of and ask 'What is THAT?!!!" It is a rose for a satisfying long-term relationship, not just a one night stand! :-)

This post was edited by ispahan on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 8:05

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacquierz5bmi

I would love to see your pictures of it. It is one I am considering...already have Jos. F. Lamb and Distant Drums. Love them

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:21PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

For the past week, it was the most impressive rose in my garden--6x6 and covered with large, perfect flowers. No trace of botrytis petal blight when some roses were balling horribly.The naturally upright, spreading habit makes a beautiful shrub that you never have to fight with. It is resistant to blackspot in many gardens, but I have a strain that affects it. Unfortunately, it has no fragrance to my nose.

This was Griffith Buck's last and probably finest rose. We are indebted to Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited for discovering and propagating it.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:17AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

How is the repeat?

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 10:21AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

It is fully repeating like a floribunda but maybe with longer cycles. The blooming laterals are ~18 inches, so the flower buds don't pop right out like, for example, Sophy's Rose. It makes singles and triplets.

Another good point, the light pink is nearly colorfast in sun (here). Many lp roses are functionally white in the garden.

This post was edited by michaelg on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 14:38

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 2:35PM
seil zone 6b MI

I've had Quietness for years and it's an amazing rose. Not spotless but fairly good disease resistance, great vigor, TONS of blooms with a quick repeat and tough as nails winter hardiness. Some fragrance but I don't find it very strong like it says on HMF. Every single bloom is picture ready. I always highly recommend this rose!

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 3:22PM
aegis1000

I love my Quietness ...

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 8:12AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

That's a pretty thorough job of enabling, upstream.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 12:44PM
seil zone 6b MI

Oh, Michael, really? Us? Enable? ROFL!

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Rainbow Happy Trails
My local nursery has a rose named Rainbow Happy Trails....
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
To Pascali or not?
I'm contemplating planting a hedge of roses and my...
kublakan
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™