Need advice - old Toro 7/24 snowblower

saddle1December 4, 2010

Hello,

I am having difficulty accessing the impeller bearing of an old Toro 7/24 snowblower (serial number 38050). I cracked the machine into two sections and removed the pully from the impeller, to expose the end of the impeller shaft (please link to the below photo). As seen in the photo, there is a small, long, rectangular piece of metal stuck to the shaft. I would like to slide the old impeller bearing off of the shaft, but can't because of this small, long, rectangular piece of metal. Any advice from someone who has dealt with this type of problem before would be really appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56659718@N07/5233026762/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

That "small, long, rectangular piece of metal" is the drive key. You will have to attack the key using a chisel and hammer to remove the key.
Place the end of a "cold chisel" against the end of the key near the shaft and drive the chisel with a hammer. The key might be reluctant to move.
You will need a new key. Keys are "standard items" and can even be found in well stocked hardware stores.

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 10:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saddle1

Thanks for your very helpful feedback. I was able to get the key out following your advice, plus wire cutters to lever the key all of the way out.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Seized Ariend Snowthrower???
My dad has an Ariens 24" 6hp 2 stage snowthrower,...
andrelaplume2
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™