is Maxsea organic?

bebba1July 2, 2011

The lady at the nursery today told me that Maxsea (the Rose Bloom formula,

3-20-20) is "95% organic". But when I looked at the ingredients, I wasn't so sure. For example, if it says that its 3% total nitrogen come from ammonical nitrogen, nitrate nitrogen and water soluble organic nitrogen, what does that mean? Or ammonium phosphate, monopotassium phosphate, potassiumnitrate, sulfate and muriate of Potash, etc.

I don't want to be TOO much of a stickler, but I really am trying to go organic and to get all the benefits of that.

All you chemists out there???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windeaux

My concern about MaxSea products is not whether they're 100% organic, but the fact they're seaweed-based. Seaweed is being harvested at ever-increasing rates as the principal ingredient for fertilizers, human dietary supplements, animal food, etc. The impact of seaweed harvest on marine life has become an environmental issue in all U.S. coastal areas and elsewhere in the world. I first became aware of the debate during a trip to Maine a couple of years ago. The planet's oceans are becoming increasingly threatened, & the harvest of millions of tons of seaweed every year is thought to be one of many stress factors.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 4:16PM
bebba1

windeaux: do you think we ought not to be using seaweed or kelp products even in small gardens, or are you talking about major use in agribusiness?

I'm trying to be green, but am wondering whether my small usage would make a difference. (I guess that's what we always say, right?)

Am still interested in the answer to my original question, though.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 11:00PM
landperson

Have you tried to contact the maker of the product with your questions?

Googling a bit gave up this description of Maxsea:
"Maxsea is a good blend of synthetic and organic ingredients for gardeners who want the immediate availability of synthetic minerals along with the well-known growth and health benefits of natural seaweed. Maxsea's nutrients are in concentrated, water soluble form and will go to work immediately"

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
Fragrant drift roses.. Do they exist?
Stumbled upon some drift roses the other day and I...
DisplacedClevelander
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™