Grafting for disease resistance?

plant_maniac10000001(6 OH)July 24, 2011

Hi. sorry if this has been asked here before (It was too much to go throuhg all of the posts to find out). I have two 30+ year-old pink flowering crabapple trees in my yard that are very prone to cedar-apple rust. They normally drop their leaves around mid-late summer every year unless I spray with copper soap. Is it possible to graft a more resistant cultivar, such as Siberian, Wyman, Prariefire, etc. into the trees and cause it to develop a resistance(I'm talking about a disease resistant scion into disease-prone understock). Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

are you asking if you can use the old mature understock already there .. and add the resistant type????

ken

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 8:48AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Yeah that's what he's asking. He wants to graft from a more-resistant type. The answer is no. Surely you could graft a more-resistant type but there will be no flow of "DNA" to help combat the already disease-prone 30-year trees.

Best Regards,

Dax

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 9:03AM

i was picturing him cutting the stump to 3 feet.. and grafting a few new pieces on ...

is that possible.. imagine the root mass on those fresh grafts.. lol ... probably shoot right out of the graft .. lol.. 45 caliber grafts ...

ken

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 10:04PM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

Ken, it is possible, and people do it to make use of established rootstock, but it does look strange:

http://www.infobharti.com/how-and-why/plants-and-animals/can-one-tree-produce-the-fruit-of-a-different-tree.php

To the OP, Dax is correct...only the branches you graft on would have resistance.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: cleft grafts

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 10:34PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Youtube has a pretty good cleft graft demo video, for anyone interested.

In this case though, it sounds like replacement of the entire tree with a disease resistant cultivar might be better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruitwise apple tree grafting, the cleft graft

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 11:44PM
plant_maniac10000001(6 OH)

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the excellent info! From the video, it looks possible, but I think that would look terrible in the front yard. I'd rather deal with the leaf drop at this point, lol...

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 2:48AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

That's some funny sheeeeaaaat Ken. Pretty much true actually!

Dax

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 7:16AM
More Discussions
Walnut tree in Berkeley?
I'm trying to find a walnut tree to draw in Berkeley...
terry94705
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Help me identify stem/branch?
Hi, I just joined and am usually in the rose section,...
msdorkgirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™