Quercus nuttallii F2 "New Madrid"

gardener365(5b Illinois USA)July 3, 2014

6' tall I reckon.

Quercus nuttallii F2 seedling of "New Madrid"

(uploaded to photobucket if you wish to view larger)

Dax

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Thanks, good to see it is doing well for you.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:08AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Appreciate that David.

Dax

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:50AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Hell yeah, I love these guy Oaks...although this one looks to be yours. How is it different form the original?

My Birthday Candle and Chimney Fire are about 6' now. Windcandle is about 2'.

I need to get Prince of Darness and then the Rough Rider and Big John. I refuse to buy from the current retail outlet due their pricing and they guoge you on shipping, worst then anyone in the industry. If you're grafting let me know!

I should have something for you to graft up.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 8:54AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

I ran out of oak seedlings, however I have some bicolor seedlings that may/may not be of size for this coming grafting season. I definitely have a branch I could spare on my Rough Rider but my Big John was nipped by rabbits to (1) bud both last year, and the year prior. I basically have (2) 6" branches. Guy may/may not have a specimen of Big John that he'll be able to collect scionwood from. Big John is located somewhere else away from his arboretum. 'Prince of Darkness' I'd have to get scionwood from him as-well. My plant was eaten by rabbits to (1) bud just like Big John and also two times. I was thankful to have had that single bud bring back my plant. And as of now I have no beech seedlings, but, I'm going to try and get just a few from a friend this month if he even has them...

I have Birthday Candle and Chimney Fire so don't need wood. And Windcastle I don't need wood of either as I don't have a place for one.

This New Madrid comes true from acorns probably 99% of the time. Guy gave me a seedling from the ortet so that's the only difference, whaas. F2 denoting it's a second generation seedling from the ortet/partent.

Happy though to graft for you, anytime. I have no compatible seedlings for New Madrid right now unless I can find some local ones to dig up and pot. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Dax

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Walnut tree in Berkeley?
I'm trying to find a walnut tree to draw in Berkeley...
terry94705
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Hair, did you plant out your metasequoia?
And how are they wintering? I started some MG's early...
jayhawkfan56
Trimming a ficus tree
I saw an ad online of someone locally selling their...
L A
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™