Sport of the wonderful rose 'Morey's Pink' in my yard :)

meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevationJuly 29, 2014

No pics, sorry! But it's one of those where half the rose has red all in it (MP is usually a nice bright mid-pink). It's so cool!

None of the other buds of that cluster have opened yet. Will this just go away, or might it stay? I've never had one of these before :)

Even if this is just fleeting, let me have y'all look up Morey's Pink. I tell you, this rose is easy and lovely, with charming cupped blossoms and color ALL season. It doesn't get any easier, and short roses are so useful. She's one of my workhorses. She stays pink in summer, too, instead of fading out to white. No fragrance to me, though.

I hope we get to have a pink-and-red version, too :D I know just where I'd put her, lol.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

Congratulations, Meredith! Morey's Pink has sported to that red at least twice (that I know of) before. I saw it once in Sharon VanEnoo's garden in Torrance, CA where the excellent photo provided in the Philips and Rix wonderful book, The Quest for the Rose appeared, and once in mine. I can't find the images of the mutation, but this is the photo from The Quest for the Rose, which was posted on HMF with Roger Philip's permission. I'd love for someone to isolate that sport. It occurs, or perhaps I notice it when too much else is happening and I don't get to it. Morey's Pink is a good little rose! It caught my attention as a small, odd plant in the nursery at The Huntington Library. No one knew anything about it except a nursery person from Northern California shared it with them. I planted it in a fifteen gallon can to give it a chance, where it showed its stuff. It wasn't until John Clements bought it at a Huntington Rose Symposium and later recognized it at Muriel Humenick's wonderful Rose Acres in Eldorado, CA that a name was put to it. I corresponded with Dr. Morey about it several times. He stated it was "ahead of its time" and he thought it too good to lose, so he planted it in his home garden, from which he shared it with Muriel. He provided the parentage listed on HMF. He wrote he had a number of other "too good to lose seedlings" in his garden he felt worthy of spreading around. We set a visit date, which had to be changed due to his wife's health. Unfortunately the date was never to be kept as he later passed. His rose remains in a number of gardens, including yours and mine.

To identify it, I tagged it "Pink Cluster Test" until a proper identification could be determined. I wanted to have it planted in the main gardens, but Clair Martin, Curator of Roses at the time, felt it unfair to plant a rose where the public would see and want it and not be able to obtain it, so it remained in the nursery. When Philips and Rix came to photograph the roses, Sharon dropped "Test" from the name as she hated it. When they labeled the photos, they naturally took the identification of the 1938 Morse floribunda, but the image is definitely Morey's Pink. I'm glad you also have it. Good luck isolating that red sport! It's definitely needed! Kim

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:25AM
mike_rivers(z5 MI)

Kim didn't mention that a photo of his sport is posted at HMF:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Sport

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:37PM
roseseek

Thank you, Mike. That's because I forgot it was there! That was the photo I was looking for on the multitude of thumb drives by the computer. Much appreciated! Kim

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:51PM
roseblush1(8a/Sunset 7)

I planted Morey's Pink last spring. I love this rose as it is easy to care for and is a prolific bloomer even in my triple digit temps.

Meredith, I'll be keeping an eye out for the sporting. Thank you for starting this thread. For now, here's a photo I took of a cluster a couple of days ago ... non-sport.

Smiles,
Lyn

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:23PM
jasminerose4u, California(9b)

Oh wow, I just love the different shades and form of Morey's Pink in the photographs and I couldn't pass it up after the high recommendations. It was available as a band from Rogue Valley Roses and I ordered it. I'll have to pull out a jade plant to make some room. The jade will do nicely in a pot. This rose will go in the ground as an eye catcher in front of my house. I'm glad it stays small! Thank you Meredith for starting this post and thank you to those who responded. It should grow well in my area.

Kim, I guess I was wrong when I said my garden was "full". But really, I think I'm set now. From now on, I need to make a rule, one rose in, one rose out.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Morey's Pink China by Kim Rupert

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:45AM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Bonnie, I think you'll love her! I was even wrong about the fragrance. With nothing else blooming near her, mine is definitely fragrant now that's she's older (or with the current weather). It's more of a fresh flower kind of scent than a stereotypical rose scent.

Lyn, yours is so pretty!

Thank you soooo much, Kim, and to mike for the picture. My first unusual bloom, subject of the OP, is like that mostly, yes! But it turns out that half of each petal on the dark half of the rose is red. So one side of the rose has half-red petals :) The other side is just normal.

I've been waiting patiently for more buds to open on the new cane (and its sub-canes). It turns out that one flower is just red! The JBs hit it right away, so I don't know what the very ends (top) of the petals look like, but the vast majority of the petals are intact, and it's a red for sure!

This is all from a new, robust cane that came up this year. Oddly, it looks like one part of it might have sported a paler pink than usual (no color at all in the buds and very light flowers) and another part sported the pure red, while the original part of the cane sported a mixed rose. Is that possible? The palest pink might just be natural weather variation, because it's subtle if that's any form of sport.

The reds are definitely red, though: one mixed and one solid :)

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 5:49PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

My Morey's Pink just finished a wonderful display. It has been a little slow to get going, but I am going to blame that on location. And when it puts out blooms, is is a massive number that just seem to stay and stay and stay.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 6:52PM
roseseek

You're welcome, Meredith! Yes, it's possible, but weather variations can also create that very light pink. And, yes, it's possible for only the one flower to have mutated. It's also possible for half the cluster to mutate while the other half remains "normal". It just depends upon where the gene that changes is and what growth comes from it. Kim

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 11:15PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Thank you, Kim :) I'm really excited! I'm going to let that big cane just keep on growing and see what happens.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 6:21PM
roseseek

Neat! You're welcome! I'm eager to see what it does for you. Good luck! Kim

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Some new roses
My rose bushes have a lot of buds and are about to...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
Pierre de Ronsard/ Eden climbing size question
I plan to train Pierre de Ronsard and it's new dark...
Adrianne
Heritage Rosarium?
Is this rose garden still opening for visits around...
sujiwan_gw
Zone 5 Rose Gardeners "What's Your Favorite Rose'?
Please share your favorite rose. Which one do you...
allaboutrosegardening
Sponsored Products
New Hand Knotted Traditional Kazak Runner 3'x8' Oriental Red & Ivory Rug H3438
BH Sun Inc
Storyboard Wall Sconce No. N6921 by Metropolitan Lighting
$320.00 | Lumens
Deco Crystal and Chrome 16" Wide Ceiling Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Bamboo Laptop Tray
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Harvest Stripe Luxe 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus