Anyone Growing Coreopsis 'Full Moon'?

kimnc7August 17, 2008

I went to Lowes and Home Depot today and saw a beautiful, stunning new Coreopsis at both called "Full Moon." I find it so hard to resist Coreopsis, but I did because it is one of the tall ones (24"-30"). I planted "Sweet Dreams" last summer/fall and it is about 24" and it flops all over the place and I hate it for that reason. It looks messy. I know this is a very new plant, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or has good information about its habit, especially if it is a flopper.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

kim, can you whack back half-grown coreopsis to keep it from flopping?will poor soil help with the flopping?
I can't grow coreopsis because i don't have good enough drainage, but those are anti-flopping techniques I use for other plants.
best,
mindy

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 11:23PM
evan_nj(6)

I planted 3 Coreopsis "Full Moon" from Garden Crossings in Spring 08. Fantastic plants: bloomed nonstop without deadheading at all. They are big and a bit lax: I put supports around the cluster of three after a heavy rain caused them to flop a bit. It is very different from Sweet Dreams: bigger and more substantial. This is the best coreopsis that I have every grown. I see from the Garden Crossing site that there is another new Coreopsis in this series ("Big Bang") for 2009. I'm going to give it a try.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 1:32PM
evan_nj(6)

Here's an interesting blog posting on new coreopsis varieties:

http://transatlanticplantsman.typepad.com/transatlantic_plantsman/2008/06/new-hardier-coreopsis.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Coreopsis

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 2:01PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Thanks for the link. What a nice range of colors on the new varieties. I will look for 'Full Moon' next month while on vacation in AZ. Then will test it for hardiness in z: 4 next winter.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 5:33PM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Interesting article. I just read about Redshift on a couple of different sites. One listed it as zone 5, one as zone 4. I guess the next couple of years will tell. As for not being able to grow them because of drainage problems, try Zagreb. That is one tough plant. I have it growing in dry areas and damp, it seems to take whatever mother nature throws it's way.

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 8:40PM
spazzycat_1

I purchased C. 'Redshift' this summer, another Coreopsis in the "Big Bang" series. Definitely more upright and bloomed over a very long period, with butter yellow blooms sporting a red eye. I think it will overwinter here just fine, unlike C. 'Sweet Dreams', 'Heaven's Gate', 'Autumn Blush' and the others I've tried. It's gotten down to 20 degrees F here so far and 'Redshift' still has green basal foliage. So, I think this forbodes well for the other plants in this series.

Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 9:33AM
adlumia_fungosum

All of the "Big Bang" series are excellent. They can survive cold temps, but need sharp drainage, becasue they can't stand "wet feet". My Full Moon blooms non- stop from June til really hard frost in October. Best Coreopsis I have ever grown, by far.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:53AM
PennyLM

I have a whole row of Full Moon and they are wonderful (Central Ohio). But they do flop badly so a few weeks ago i trimmed them way back and they are growing back fine. Will have to see how well they flower. Last year, they flowered late, like August and then keep going til frost.
Does anyone have experience with Sunray Coreopsis?

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Tall Verbena
Having finally put a name to the lanky 3' tall plant...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™