Henry Eilers now opening

rouge21_gw(5)August 21, 2013

I know there is often the criticism of this rudbeckia that the flowers do not stand out but I do like it. On an established plant with an abundance of blooms it really does come into its own. As well it requires no supplemental water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrtulin

I liked the pictures, and I like it in the flesh, so to speak....
The flower shape is a refreshing change from full-blown daisy form which can dominate a garden from spring through fall. It's less usual shape, and easier to work with shade of yellow are a plus.
It doesn't scream look at me, but don't all prima donnas get a little tiresome after a while? It is a mellow plant

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:42PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I love this plant. I love the shape of the blooms. I planted it and realized it was in a shadier spot than I had thought, but before I got around to moving it, it grew and flourished and bloomed, and so I left it there. So now I have a cool rudbeckia in more-than-part shade. What's not to love? :)

Dee

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:54PM
franeli(z4 NH)

The flowers are very delicate in appearance;a plant I'd like close to a sitting area... like my 'porch' garden.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:25AM
MulchMama

I like it! A lot! That's a very pretty yellow, very clean, and the plant seems to be saying, "See me? I don't have to put on a lot of makeup to be beautiful!"

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:50AM
MulchMama

I like it! A lot! That's a very pretty yellow, very clean, and the plant seems to be saying, "See me? I don't have to put on a lot of makeup to be beautiful!"

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 10:52AM
echinaceamaniac(7)

These plants are so hardy! I have had 'Henry Eilers' for years. It always returns without fail, even after someone cut one of them down with a lawn mower!

This is a photo of my 'Little Henry.' It does seem to be about a third shorter. The blooms look larger since the plant is smaller. I like both though.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 12:01PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Great picture 'ech'!

I had been meaning to put in a couple of "Little Henrys" as senior takes up so much room.

Might you post a photo showing a complete "Little Henry" in full bloom?

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 3:28PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Great picture 'ech'!

I had been meaning to put in a couple of "Little Henrys" as senior takes up so much room.

Might you post a photo showing a complete "Little Henry" in full bloom?

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 8:09PM
rouge21_gw(5)

UPDATE:

This is the same plant from last year. It has splayed out completely from the center with almost all stems horizontal. I was thinking of replacing it with something more upright like "Ashai" Sunflower but with such unique blooms and the plant in a very wild area of the garden, we have decided to let things lie ;).

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™