Very Small Specimen/Ornamental Tree Suggestions

annoc(z6Boston)July 2, 2010

Hello to All,

I am in the process of reworking (once again) a narrow (@3-) border and would like to have a mixed border with at least one small tree and several shrubs and perennials. I am looking for a narrow airy small tree that is not too large ( @6- 10 feet) that I can keep wispy and not too heavy. I am in Zone 6 (Boston) and the area is in full sun and abuts a 4 ft tall wrought iron fence that separates it from a park with another 3 feet of shrubs. In my mind I am thinking of a lacy upright japanese maple but am concerned about the full sun. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. annoc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trees123

Are you looking for a flowering tree or an evergreen?

The Arbor Day Foundation has this cool tool called the Best Tree Finder: Tree Wizard it ask 4 questions to narrow down choices for you
1) Zip Code (so can find your zone)
2) Type of Trees (Evergreen, Flowering, Ornamental, Shade...)
3) Soil and Sun
4) Height, Spread, and Growth rate desired

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Tree Finder: Tree Wizard

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 10:12AM
annoc(z6Boston)

Thank you Trees 123- That will definitely be a bookmarked site- I am looking for a non evergreen - flowering or not. I used the link but only a crabapple came up that was closest to the size but a little too wide/dense. Perhaps shaping one of the suggested shrubs into more of a tree shape might be another direction. Thank you for the link. annoc

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 10:26AM
krycek1984(6a/Cleveland)

You could always try a dwarf fruit tree. We just bought a dwarf plum tree for a small area. It will make beautiful flowers in the spring and you'll have some fruits in the summer! Dwarf peaches or plums would be nice, but I'd stay away from dwarf apples...I've seen many a "dwarf" apple get humungous.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:07PM
Carrie B

Their are also a lot of dwarf Japanese maple cultivars that stay very small, and could work well for you.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:26PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

I have a 'pink fleshed' apple that is a natural dwarf and is staying quite small without much pruning.

Also, I recently read an article on summer pruning for fruit trees. The author's POV was that it takes two prunings yearly to keep dwarf fruit trees at an appropriate size. Dormant pruning in the late winter is for shaping the growth but does not limit size, a second pruning in the late summer should keep the tree from getting too big.

But fruit trees have their own problems - mainly fruit dropping and rotting if it is not all picked. I faced a similar situation and ended up choosing a large shrub that could be trained into a tree-like form.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 7:04PM
annoc(z6Boston)

Thank you for all your suggestions as I keep investigating.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Number 4 thread of Most successful try @ LIve oak in Pa
Okay, this is the newest thread about the Live Oak...
poaky1
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™