Carrots-a question

dorisl(5)February 25, 2008

I know somebody's going to laugh at me, cuz Im laughing at myself right now.

I think 1 carrot seed grows one carrot. Right? one seed does not grow "a bunch" of carrots?

:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richdelmo

If your laughing at yourself I think you know the answer:)

However to obtain a bunch you need to plant the seeds with enough spacing or they will crowd each other out and not grow well.

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 5:59PM
galcho(z8 Northwest)

Possible you heard something about beets. Beet seeds are multi-gems and can actually give more then one plant. Carrots are single-gem seeds.

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 6:28PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

doris, don't feel bad. A few years ago I planted beets for the first time. I really (still) don't have much experience with vegetables anyway, and two years ago even less.

Anyway, I planted 20 seeds, thinking 20 beet "plants" would give me beets all season! As the seeds germinated and sprouted, I did more research, and then I realized that one seed yields one beet. Boy did I feel dumb!

Luckily for me, I got 100% germination, and also luckily for me, my kids for some inexplicable reason don't like beets, so my DH and I ejoyed every one of those 20 beets, lol, 2 beets at a time per dinner. I think those were the most savored veggies I ever grew, lol, because we knew that there was a very limited amount!

I'm trying carrots this year for the first time too. Good luck to you!

Dee

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 8:18AM
dorisl(5)

thanks guys!

:) Ill do a few this year, I think I need to make a raised bed for them, I need to see how well on did on the soil improvements this past year.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 8:26AM
richdelmo

Doris carrots (at least for me) are NOT easy to grow properly in ground unless you have really good soil with little or no clay. Just to avoid disappointment why not grow some in a container with good potting mix. What other veggies are you growing.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 10:38AM
dorisl(5)

Lots of maters. Last year I had bad luck with everything else. "(

Im hoping for some peppers, kohlrabi's squashes melons.
Definitely some garlic and onions, I know my bunny friends wont eat them.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 9:18PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Rich, a question on carrots in containers - what size pot do you use or recommend, and how many carrots per that pot?

Also, can carrot seedlings be easily transplanted, or would you suggest starting them in the pot they will live in?

(Doris, hope you don't mind me asking this on your thread!)

Dee

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 9:15AM
richdelmo

The containers should be fairly deep and not the oval/dish type shape, more like a bucket 2 gallons or more would work fine. When sowing you can over sow to ensure good germination then cut back to allow about two or three inches in between carrots. You will get mixed messages on transplanting, some have no problems but others will tell you they grow deformed, I start them in the container I don't transplant.

You said your growing peppers this year, I always have trouble with the sweet variety when grown in the ground, so last year I did several in containers and had great success so this year I plan to do alot in containers, try one or two in a container.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 9:59AM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Poor Dee and her 20 beets... If you have space, you don't have to think your one planting of beets (or carrots) is all you get - you can keep planting them all season.

If you have clay soil, it's likely that you have low availability of phosphorus, really important for root crops. So add rock phosphate or bone meal (if you're organic) or triple phosphate.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 10:52AM
paphiocon(z6 NJ)

I had never been able to grow good carrots in the ground, so last year I drilled holes in the bottom of a 5 gal. bucket, filled it with ProMix, and sowed the seeds directly. When I had to thin the seedlings, I added the cut greens to salads.

I got such nice carrots that this year I'm planning to sow several buckets of carrots. I may also try to plant successive crops and add some worm castings to the mix.

One of the nice things about growing veggies in containers is that you can move them around, even though a 5 gal. bucket can be pretty heavy after it's been watered.

Good growing to you!
Constance in NJ

Rich wrote:
The containers should be fairly deep and not the oval/dish type shape, more like a bucket 2 gallons or more would work fine. When sowing you can over sow to ensure good germination then cut back to allow about two or three inches in between carrots. You will get mixed messages on transplanting, some have no problems but others will tell you they grow deformed, I start them in the container I don't transplant.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 12:42PM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

I have very rocky/gravelly soil. Even though I mixed in lots of compost, my carrots didn't do too well. They were very short, about 3-4" long.

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 12:52PM
sarahbear

ROTFL! Don't feel bad about the carrot question. I thought about asking the same one.
;)

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™