Henry Eilers Rudbeckia

ginnierAugust 18, 2014

This is the first year for Henry Eilers to bloom...and I have sooo looked forward to it. It's got about 8 blooms/stems with sideshoots and blooms coming. It IS only 2.5 feet tall and I expected 3.5 at least. It's in full sun and I'm not big on watering things. I hope it grows a bit each year...There's nothing to hinder its growth other than the lawn mower, well, and lack of water, but we've had some good rains this year so far.

Does anyone else grow this and it does well for them? I was wondering too about collecting seed...has anyone done that and had success from planting them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I grow this and I really enjoy it. Mine, however, is taller, probably at least 3.5 feet tall. I'd say it's about three years old, and it grows in part shade as well. And I neglect my gardens terribly. :)

I've never attempted to collect seed from them so I can't help there. I hope yours does well for you!

Dee

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 10:25PM
linaria_gw

Most cultivars don't grow true from seed and return to some more simple or original version

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 12:31AM
rouge21_gw(5)

I have had HE for a few seasons. The previous 2 it had done well but this season with individual stems about 4 feet tall they are flopped. This hadn't been the case previously. And the only thing different this year is the cooler temps and significant rain fall.

(I notice that there is also a "Little Henry Eilers" available this year).

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Does Anyone Do Mixed Perennial Containers For The Deck/Patio?
As opposed to annuals? I've been seeing some pretty...
catkinZ8a
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
hey newbie: is not a green thumb you want .. its a ....
brown index finger ....[keep your head out of the gutter] i...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™