hybridizing sugar maple

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)July 12, 2013

I'll post this over at the hybridizing forum too.

I've given some thought to a fun project...hybridizing Acer saccharum wtih it's variants (leucoderme, grandidentatum, barbatum, etc).

My main question for the tree forum:

Red Maple (acer rubrum) is said to be mostly dioecious but some forms monoecious (i.e., most red maples are either male or female but not both) in literature, but I think every Acer rubrum I see is one sex or the other.

Sugar maples are said to be the same way (some dioecious, some monoecious) but they seem, to me, to mostly having both flower types on the same tree...am I right or wrong here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom

HM, I believe SM is generally dioecious but that there are individual trees which are fully monoecious. Further confusing the issue, there seem to be individual trees occupying every point along this spectrum. And finally, some sugar maples have individual branches with both male and female flower characteristics, within an otherwise predominantly dioecious framework.

Whew! You've got your work cut out for you!

+oM

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 11:59AM
beng(z6 western MD)

Yeah, insuring a hybrid w/alot of other sugar maples around ain't gonna be easy...

My sugar maples seem dioecious, with sections of branches bearing mostly/all male or female flowers. Females tend to be lower on the trees, males higher. Red & silver maples often seem to be mostly monoecious, tho.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 12:27PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I know rose breeders cut the stamens off flowers and put bags over them to prevent errant pollination. MIght be hard on a TREE but could be done...just cut the staminate flowers as they start to open but before the pollen is released. Realistically just a few branches would be needed to get a decent number of seeds...presuming it "took".

I guess there is a name for Acer saccharum x Acer leucoderme (Acer x senecaense) but I've never seen one.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™