PH Meter

garf_gwOctober 5, 2010

I have a unit labled pH computer by Accutronics. It is a cheapo 2 prong unit. There are no instructions, just a scotchbrite pad to clean the prongs with. When I first insert the prongs into the soil, it will usually peg the meter then slowly settle down to a reading. Doesn't seem right. Anyone have experience with the 2 prong type meters?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

I don't own or use a "two prong" pH meter, but I do test for soil pH, using a handheld Hanna Instruments pH meter, the kind with a glass bulb, and calibration pots. This meter can be calibrated using any aqueous solution of known pH, for example, orange juice, vinegar, household ammonia, tap water,...whatever you have available. My understanding is that "glass bulb" type pH meters are ion specific, that is, they sense the concentration of hydrogen ions, which directly correlates with pH. I would guess that metal probe type pH testers are measuring a voltage generated when corrosion takes place on two dissimilar metals. This voltage will change as pH varies, but it can also sense the presence of corrosive salts, like sodium chloride. I don't think that these units are ion specific. The results might be accurate, or they might not. I would try to calibrate the meter using 5% white vinegar, the kind they sell in the grocery store. It should indicate pH around 3.5, and tap water should be around 7. If you have hard water, the pH might be around 7.5.

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I got a two prong meter at a yard sale for 25�. I couldn't see any relationship between the readings and pH but it was most useful to determine when houseplants needed to be watered. VBG.

Play with it a bit just for fun.

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
First time gardener. need help with pest
This is the first time I will be planting a vegetable...
mariorg
New raised bed garden
I'm putting a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Using mushroom spawn or spores
How do I add mushroom spore or spawn to raised bed...
digsindirt1
Miracle-Gro Garden Soil
I was at Home Depot this morning getting a few things...
SneakyP
soil testing question
I posted this in the tropical fruits forum but I'm...
woohooman
Sponsored Products
Klus B1890 - EX-ALU series Edge Lit Channel
Super Bright LEDs
Alessandra Tonal Sculpted Bath Towel
$31.50 | FRONTGATE
Everest Soraya Chocolate Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 6 in. Rug
$299.00 | Bellacor
ALB series Aluminum LED Light Bar Fixture - Low Profile
Super Bright LEDs
Couristan Marina Malta Area Rug - 89610100020311T
$59.00 | Hayneedle