Swamp chestnut oak - canopy question

acer(6b western NC)July 27, 2014

A few days ago I was given a swamp chestnut oak (Quercus micheaxii). It's about an inch caliper and maybe 5 feet tall. I've got a question about the mature form of the canopy. What I read says "narrow and rounded" with a long, straight trunk. I like the straight trunk part, but not the narrow. I like a full canopy and NEVER a columnar tree, which I don't quite expect here. What could I expect from swamp chestnut if it has room to grow?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Not "narrow" by any stretch. Not as spreading as a Q. alba or macrocarpa. More like a bicolor. Probably slightly taller than wide from what I have seen on mature specimens.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:09PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

This is a good example.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:10PM
beng(z6 western MD)

Don't worry -- it'll gradually spread just like hair's impressive example.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:10AM
beng(z6 western MD)

Acer, better check that sapling for girdling roots before you transplant.....

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:51AM
poaky1

I have visited many champion tree program websites for this same reason. I wanted to see several mature specimens of each oak variety to make sure that I had planted each in the right place in my yard. Most oaks get AT LEAST 60 ft wide, and 50-60 ft in height. MOST get 80 ft or more in width and vary in height from 60-100 +ft in old age. But I will likely never see ANY of my oaks at maturity, you may if you are young enough. Well, I am 43, so I MAY be lucky enough to see some of my oaks get kinda big. Unfortunately, many big/champion trees will say how wide the crown spread is, but only show the trunks in photos on the champion tree sites.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:11PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Bottom line - Quercus michauxii is a fine tree - one of my favorite oaks, and not planted often enough.

It doesn't need a "swamp" either - although it's thirster than upland oaks like Scarlet Oak and (regular) Chestnut Oak (Q. prinus), it should do fine in any normal east-coast moisture situation. That said, I'd avoid it in drier areas like Texas, Oklahoma, etc, unless it's sited in a moist area.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™