Im building raised beds and

ohioveggiesOctober 7, 2011

im putting in soil and a bit of compost mixed. I am going to top it with a mulch of shredded leaves and some grass clippings. I put the beds on top of the ground with the turf off. If I want to bring worms up to start working the hard soil underneath what would you suggest to help it along? I was thinking maybe trying some with cardboard on top of my fresh soil/compost then the grass and leaves on top, would that work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

There's no need to remove the turf - simply cover with a layer of cardboard or several thicknesses of newsprint & fill. Not to worry - the worms will find your set-up and take up residence quickly whether you put cardboard between your soil and mulch or not.

Al

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 7:40PM
ohioveggies

Well we removed the grass already a while ago. The beds are in a new hoophouse and I wanted to start off weed free. Thanks for the thoughts!

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 7:43PM
val_s(z5 central IL)

As long as you have decaying matter in there the worms will come. My grandma use to wrap her potato peelings in newspaper and bury them in the garden for her "little worm friends".

Val

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 9:03PM
ohioveggies

You know thats a good idea, i'll just do some pockets of my compost matter in there!

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 9:09PM
scotty66(8 Hutto TX)

If your impatient (like me) you could always buy some fishing worms (red wrigglers are best for composting) and add them yourself.
most gas stations near a lake or river have them.
best of luck

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 1:03AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Contrary to what many people seem to think Red Wiggler worms are seldom found in soils, they do not live in soils but instead live where there is a large volume of organic waste to digest. Adding Red Wigglers to your garden may be a waste of your money.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Red Wigglers

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 6:29AM
ohioveggies

I collected some grass clippings for now to cover the beds. I dont want the soil to get too compacted before the plastic goes over the hoophouse.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary
Earth, The Operators Manual
This 3 part series may be of interest to some here. http://www.pbs.org/program/earth-the-operators-manual/ kimmq...
kimmq
How to prepare my soil (eastern PA)
Newbie gardener here going into year two. Last year...
mfran12345
Need alternative nitrogen source
Ok, here goes. Don't laugh if I sound stupid. Or...
ernie85017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™