Updates ( Sproutless Containers, Seeds for Sale and Butterflies)

moonwolf_gwFebruary 16, 2011

Hi everyone,

To address my fellow Zone 6 WSers, have any of you gotten sprouts yet? All my containers are sproutless. It was a very warm spell here today (50's in the shade and it felt good!) for mid-February. I hate to sound impatient but that's what's happening for my containers currently.

I was also at Wal-Mart today and they finally have their seeds out! They're all Burpee but I'm sure other brands will be out soon. The Dollar Tree has theirs too (4 for $1!) and I bought my neighbor four packs when I was there on Sunday (cactus flowered zinnia, annual forget me not, sweet william and cosmos). That makes three stores downtown with seeds. Nothing unusual among them though.

This is slightly off-topic but it relates to the theme of the garden next year: butterflies. I am happy to report that the Monarch population is higher than it was at this time last year. However, they are still threatened, so plant plant plant that milkweed!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

I seriously doubt it, though I haven't checked yet.

Karen

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 8:11PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

I don't see sprouts until March here in Columbus.

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 8:51PM
PVick(6b NYC)

I've occasionally had stuff germinate in early to mid-February (usually BBs or alyssum, maybe a poppy here and there), but generally it isn't until March that the sprouts really start coming.

Don't sweat it.

PV

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 10:22PM
ladyrose65

Nothing, sprouting here. We got 50 for the last 3-days. Just waiting, and reading.

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 11:15PM
moonwolf_gw

Well, glad to know that I'm not alone here! I just sowed three more containers tonight (yellow scabiosa, blue balloon flower and canterbury bells) and have many more to go! If I get the "Sea of Green" as I like to call it, this will become an annual thing with me (no pun intended lol). I have no doubt that I will get the green wave after seeing Gardenweed's pictures. March isn't that far away (lucky me it's the month of my birthday and guess what I'll be doing lol? It's not until the end of the month, on the 27th, exactly one week from the first day of spring! Yay!) thank goodness, so we all don't have to wait very long. Thanks for telling me for when I should start checking for sprouts!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 11:48PM
shemeows(6 ID)

A few... poppies, jupiter's beard, sweet alyssum, stocks and a couple more I can't remember right now. It hasn't really been warm yet (matter of fact, we had a dusting of snow overnight).

Things will start sprouting in earnest soon.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 10:13AM
floodthelast(5 N. OH)

I know I get most of my sprouts when night time temps start to stay in the 40's. That's what I'd watch for Moon.

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 3:37PM
moonwolf_gw

Well it turned cold for the weekend and there's another storm coming (more ice and snow...yay) so it'll still be awhile. We did have a nice warm spell this week and I think the nights were in the 30's still. The wind is just howling away but I think it's dying down now. I will continue to look for sprouts and let you know if I get any.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 12:05AM
gardenweed_z6a

Thanks, Brad. Do you mean these--all winter sown, all bloomed first year from seed:

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 6:51AM
ladyrose65

Gardenweed, what is that flower in the background behind the Rudbeckia. Peach, Salmon colored plant? Cosmo?

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 8:25PM
terrene(5b MA)

Ya know Ladyrose, I thought it was Profusion Zinnia at first, but the foliage is wrong.

Also Gardenweed, what is the dark maroon flower in first pic? (and the 7th pic, hehe)

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 11:50AM
gardenweed_z6a

ladyrose65 - that's coreopsis 'Sienna Sunset' purchased from a nursery. I just went wild over the color. I harvested TONS of seeds but word is it won't come true from seed. If you want to try, you're welcome to some seeds.

terrene - that's my first attempt growing hollyhock and that one produced just two flowers but they were stunning. I collected what seeds I could but there weren't many. If you want like a dozen seeds, they're yours for BEAP.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 5:35PM
moonwolf_gw

Gardenweed, yep those are the pictures I meant!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Anyone has started winter sowing in Toronto?
This is my second year doing winter sowing. I started...
chipeony
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
OK, Now that I have sprouts what do I do next
Should I water the little baby sprouts? When do I...
smokey28777
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
The thrill of the sprout
Just checked my containers and have two types of lettuce...
caryltoo Z7/SE PA
Sponsored Products
Terrarium Planter in Mint
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Gem Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
American Rug Craftsmen Serenity Bon Adventure Green Runner Rug
$124.99 | LuxeDecor
Purple Envy Entertainer Food Carrier
$34.99 | zulily
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Sailwind II 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze
Home Depot