Oikos ECOS chestnuts: not hardy below -30F

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)July 13, 2014

Just thought I'd put this out there if anyone else was looking for the most cold-hardy hybrid chestnuts around (as I have been).

I planted two Oikos ECOS hybrid chestnuts about 5 years ago on my dad's farm, and just checked on them this weekend for the first time this year.

Last year, they WERE 8 ft tall and bore nuts the past two years.

Yesterday they were sticks in the ground, resprouting from the roots, winter-killed by the harsh winter we had in the upper Midwest this past year. My brother's best guess was that we hit -35F or even -40F once or twice (this was a few miles from Holdingford, MN, pretty much dead-center in the state). They were also in a somewhat exposed location, since my dad cleared out some dying trees in the windbreak.

I let my brother rip them out with the tractor. Oh well, I'll give the trees from Badgersett a try next time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Nothing like a cold winter to make it clear what is hardy in a given area and what really isn't. There can be reasons other than variations in fashion and availability why you never see many kinds of trees and shrubs in older plantings.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 2:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beng(z6 western MD)

A couple of my small, weak 'Timburrs' were also killed to the ground (2 out of 3 are dead), but the largest, healthiest one shows no damage. Generally, these selections are disappointing.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™