Magnolia 'Sunsation'

daisy_me(Z6b IL)July 12, 2013

What can you tell me about Magnolia 'Sunsation'?

I planted one many years ago, and while it has gone from a 3' stick to a 10' or so "shrub", it certainly has not begun to look like a tree. I'll admit, I knew nothing about it when I purchased/planted it, other than I liked the blooms (shame on me!). It's been in the ground since 2005, in full sun.

In your experience, does it usually remain in more of a shrub form? Or does it eventually begin to take more of a tree form?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hard to give you much advice w/o a pic ...

but i never met a shrub.. which turned itself into a tree .... all by its lonesome ....

its a matter of its owner.. forcing it.. thru pruning.. into the shape they want ...

get a good tree pruning saw.. and start whacking on it ... and make it what you want.. whose in charge in your garden anyway.. the plants????

advise if you wish instruction on how to make a proper cut.. etc ....

ken

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 1:12PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Many kinds of trees, whether planted as trees or as shrubs, build up into tree shapes later in life. This is particularly common among supposedly dwarf conifer cultivars, such as clones sold as Pinus strobus 'Nana' - and a thousand others.

The very common Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem' often grows for some years in a comparatively broad and bushy fashion, only to eventually transform into a taller and narrower tree shape - the original seedling was almost columnar.

Keep or make yours happy with ferilizing, mulching and watering as needed - instead of whacking on it - and see what it does. It will probably become more arborescent over time.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:29PM
daisy_me(Z6b IL)

I think Bboy described it best, mine is currently "broad and bushy" and "almost columnar". Not at all like the Magnolias I remember from my childhood in the South.

And Ken, yes, sometimes the plants rule. Only because I find I don't have enough time or knowledge sometimes to keep them under my rule! ;-) That's why I'm thankful for GW and the helpful folks who hang out here.

I'll admit, I have not fertilized this tree since planting it, but I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. At this point, it can't hurt, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:25AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If it looks lush and healthy it may not need fertilizer. One way to get a look into the situation is a soil test. Fertilizing can hurt, in that if there is plenty of a particular mineral already present adding more may come to produce a toxicity - too much phosphorus, for instance, which is hard to get rid of, and often present in fairly (or quite) high amounts in some frequently sold formulations.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
American elms seeds wanted
When we were discussing pruning the damaged elm, I...
jocelynpei
Snapped Fiddle Leaf Fig
Hi All, This afternoon I took my Fiddle Leaf Fig to...
Belle Roberts
Dual Leader Dawn Redwood?
I have a dawn redwood that I planted in April 2014....
Steve Gall
Can anyone ID this wood? (firewood)
It burns very slowly. It's perfect for nighttime, and...
laura242424
How to tell male and femals Black Gum apart?
There's a Black Gum tree at a local nursery, and I'm...
farmboy1
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Southern Magnolia Black 7
Home Depot
Faux Magnolias - WHITE
$545.00 | Horchow
Huppe | MAGNOLIA Dining Table with Lacquered Glass Top
YLiving.com
Loft Sectional Sofa
Italy Design
Magnolia Fairy Figurine
$7.99 | zulily