Is this Fire blight?

muminutah(5)July 31, 2014

My apple tree leaves started turning brown, and falling off, about half the tree is affected now. I had it pruned in the spring, and sprayed for Coddling Moth in the spring. I have my lawn fertilized by a company, but no other plants or trees are affected with this. It gets enough water.

It looks like the leaves on the top of the tree turned brown first, and then it started traveling down the tree. The leaves underneath are still mostly green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoseman

probably not fire blight, maybe graft failure. Usually fire blight leaves hang on and eventually turn brown leaves do in the fall. Also, there is the shepard's crook and the brownish liquid that may be seen early on when a strike hits. Fire blight enters through the blooms or hail injury. It's a little late for fire blight to start unless one of the above conditions have occurred.

I just had an apple tree do the same as you describe and it was not fire blight. I removed the tree as I do not care to watch slow death and I can use the space for a new tree.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom

Not fireblight. Could also be apple scab, although that usually presents much earlier in the growing season, at least in my neck of the woods.

Probably have to send leaves into diagnostic lab if you want it nailed down with precision.

+oM

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
What's the prognosis for this poor magnolia and apple tree?
I've lived in this house for a year. The previous owners...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™