winter sowing under a low hoop?

nugrdnnutFebruary 22, 2014

I am thinking about winter sowing warm weather crops (tomatoes, peppers, tomatillas, etc) in milk jugs under a low hoop cover. I hope that this will produce seedlings sooner, that will grow a little bigger and, therefore, possibly maturing and producing earlier. Btw, I have agribon19 and/or plastic to use as hoop covers.

Has any one done this? If so, how is your success as compared to regular (uncovered) wsing? Do you think that lack of air circulation might be problematic?

Any experiences/trials with this is appreciated?

Regards,
Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kilngod z6b(Zone 6b)

Tom, (I reread your post and had missed that you said in milkjugs. Doofy mis-read on my part.)

I may put some of my wintersown containers under a hoop, just to see & to have the hoop already set up ready to go when the container plants are big enough to transplant. I figure it cannot hurt, though I may need to water/soak those more than the others.

Let's compare notes.
-Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 19:25

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 9:24PM
dowlinggram

Set your hoops and plastic up a couple of weeks ahead of planting to warm the ground. I've planted this way but I always warmed the ground first so the seed gets off to a good start. If the soil is not warm the seed will just sit there until it's warm enough to sprout

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 12:06AM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Tom, I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work - it would be kind of like starting them in a greenhouse, I suppose, and give extra heat for a head start. I think the one thing you'd need to attend to is water - being under the cover the containers would not get as much water as they would uncovered, and being warmer, would dry out sooner on top of that.

Good luck!
Dee

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 10:14AM
kilngod z6b(Zone 6b)

I'm really looking forward to trying this. It may double our advantage.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 7:27PM
nugrdnnut

Thank for the input.

I will be putting up an agribon-19 or plastic hoop cover over the milk jugs this weekend. I will leave 1 jug outside the hoop as a comparison and will report how it goes.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Im so excited, I have sprouts!!!
This is my first time winter sowing. My mom thought...
smokey28777
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
List of Seed Companies Owned by Monsanto
If you want to avoid using GMO seeds, here is a list...
bbmiche
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™