Winter Sowing Salvia's?

ladyrose65February 19, 2014

I know I've asked this before. I sowed a lot of seeds last season only to have 1 Lady-n-Red Coccinea to sprout. I sowed them 04/14/13 in an Aluminum pan in the warmest spot I have in the back. I laid the seeds on top, did not cover.

Terrene, was darling and sent me some seeds. I would like to try again. Taking any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duane456

I've WS salvias with fairly decent success. I know most won't sprout until it warms up. I do mine usually in late April. I don't cover mine either, but press them in so they are in contact with the soil. I also spritz them with water every once in awhile.
I know some people who soak them first overnight before planting. I haven't done that, because I've had pretty good success without doing that.
They are sporadic germinating for me.
I also make sure there is at least 3-4 inches of soil.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 1:21PM
browneyedsusan_gw(8a)

I find I get a higher germination rate when I plant salvias after the weather warms up and there is no danger of frost.
Susan

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 10:15PM
ponyexpress_1

I also had better success when waiting for warmer weather. I tried WS Salvia lady in red and nothing germinated. Using the same batch of seeds and also in milk jugs, I had a very high germination rate when I tried later in the spring. I think it was about 4 weeks before planting out. The small seedlings took off quickly once they were in the ground.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:52AM
terrene(5b MA)

Hi Lady, I've started a few Salvias from seed. This year I plan on sowing Salvia coccinea, S. guaranitica, and Yvonne's. No need for cold stratification with these particular seeds, so I usually sow them in late March or early April, but I've had them sprout when winter-sown too.

Cover lightly with soil, and keep moist. They sprout somewhat sporadically. Sometimes the S. coccinea sprouts abundantly like a little forest!

Be vigilant about slugs. They LOVE Salvia seedlings and have even come up into my containers and munched the little sprouts. I usually sprinkle some Sluggo or Escargo around the seedlings, the organic iron phosphate slug bait. It works good!

Here's a pic of the seedlings from the first year I ws'd Yvonne's Salvia in 2008. This was taken on May 27 so they don't put on a lot of size here till it warms up in summer -

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:38PM
ladyrose65

Thank You All. I will wait until May.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 5:43AM
ellenr22

Terrene,
love that picture!
reminds me that spring will come.
which I need reminding me of, as today has a high of 20 degrees!

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 12:07PM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

I can say for certain the Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red' does love the heat so if winter sown, it may not be among the earliest to germinate. They now reseed for me and don't come up until the soil is quite warm. Hummers and butterflies love the blooms.

Mary

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 5:30PM
ladyrose65

Thanks Mary

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:26PM
ladyrose65

I got Salvia sprouts in two containers from last year's WSing. I cut the tops off and left them in the open elements during Fall and Winter. I even got more penstomen's and Lobelia Cardinalis sprouts.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 2:31AM
terrene(5b MA)

Congrats on getting some sprouts. I haven't even started sowing the Salvia seeds yet, but am thinking it's time to get going. It's finally warming up and Spring has arrived.

Lobelia cardinalis reseeds for me every year, usually in the garden paths. I haven't had to winter-sow those since 2009!

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 11:25AM
ponyexpress_1

Well, I guess patience paid off! I have some clematis I didn't toss from last year. Maybe there's still hope.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:40AM
More Discussions
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
perennial WS
What is your favorite perennial to sow? I'm in zone...
sorie6
Winter Sowing Dahlia Seeds?
Does anyone WS Dahlia seeds? How do they work out for...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™