Winter sowing with Ca wacky weather

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)February 5, 2014

We have gone from 2 weeks of way below freezing to a couple of weeks up into the 70s and an occasional 80* in the last couple of months.
Really off the wall weather in Northern Ca (just No of SF)
I have usually bought starts for my garden, but now that I'm retired, I was wanting to work on starting from seed more.
The problem is that our weather has been so unpredictable that I'm a bit afraid to set up a greenhouse type set up if it's just going to heat up again and fry my little guys while I'm away from the house!
Thoughts or comisserators? Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flipback23(9 SF Bay)

I had the same worry as well. I have many seedlings growing right now in my garage. At least this way I can keep the from the cold nights. I started everything last month since it should be 6-8 weeks from our last frost date but this weird weather has me concerned that the frost may last longer. I keep them under grow lights 16hrs a day for now. They are mainly veggies, so Im hoping the weather settles by end of march so I can set them out before the outgrow the space in my garage. After that heat wave I didnt want to spend the time to put up a temp green house to have everything die on me.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Errant_gw

I have similar issues being in the mountains of So CA. It even snowed weekend before last, and there's a possibility of flurries tonight. My poor garden is a mess!

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™