growth no blossoms

welltraveled(z5Mid Mich)July 23, 2014

I have over 5 feet new growth on my pink Eden rose,but no buds appearing, This rose had die back from winter kill to about 6 inches from the ground.
What is happening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Do you have pictures of where the canes are growing from? Could the growth be from below the graft? (Aka the rootstock survived)

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 10:24AM
susan4952(5)

I had the exact same thing with my beloved alchymist. Cut way back in April and so far great green growth but only one or two anemia looking blossoms.
Mine is not rootstock . ????

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 2:39PM
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

I've had no blooms from the primary canes in many of my established climbers this year that needed pruning to the ground - Eden, Madame Alfred Carriere, and Madame Isaac Periere to name a few. I think these climbers need to rebuild their main cane structure after a particularly hard winter like this, particularly if they mostly bloom on old wood. Since in my yard there wasn't any old wood left, they're starting the process again to support blooms next year. The same probably applies to Alchymist, Susan, particularly since it's an early once-bloomer for the most part. It wants some existing cane to build blooms from.

I'd give Eden the benefit of the doubt this year if you cut it back that far, unless as Kippy says you're getting growth from below the lumpy part where the rose is grafted onto the rootstock. Just keep pulling the canes horizontal so that it can send up laterals ready to start blooming next year.

Cynthia

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 2:43PM
susan4952(5)

Thanks, nippstress. I kind of thought I should have cut back more but I was so happy to see some signs of life.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 4:30PM
seil zone 6b MI

What Nippstress said. Their rebuilding after taking a hard hit. Be patient and let them recover.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 5:41PM
welltraveled(z5Mid Mich)

Thank you so much. Susan,Nippstress and Seil.Makes me feel there is hope ..The growth is above the rootstock,

It does have a New Dawn growing next to on a tutuer it is doing the same thing lots of growth no buds.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:43AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

And also remember that Eden is not the most eager and profuse bloomer on the planet. She's often reluctant to bloom very much even in a good year, though she usually does fine for the spring bloom.

Kate

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Teasing Georgia as a pruned shrub
So I have been reading on here about growing TG as...
kingcobbtx9b
Potting Or Planting New Bare Root Roses?
In the past, I have planted most of the bare root roses...
alameda/zone 8
Reine de Violettes
I dug it up and moved it two years ago. It was own...
deervssteve
Belmont Yellow and Schmidt's Smooth Yellow
Somewhere there was a thread on these two roses, but...
Kippy
For those looking for Poseidon/Novalis
Heirloom Roses has it! I was so excited when I saw...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™