Bulb Markers

echinaceamaniac(7)September 5, 2011

What do you use to indicate where a bulb is planted? I have accidentally dug into a dormant bulb so many times. I'd like to use some sort of marker to show where the bulbs are. I would use a piece of bamboo stake, but I want something metal that lasts forever.

I will be planting some alliums this fall. Those bulbs are expensive so I really need to mark where they are.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

How about plastic golf tees?

Annette

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 9:40AM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

My favorite plant markers so far are stainless steel and the name plates can't fall off. With Brother p-touch labels you are good for a long time. I've tried many different label types these are my faves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden markers

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 10:37AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

I don't use garden markers of any kind since I converted to the garden map method, but that's just me. If you're looking for something to simply "mark the spot" and not something to write on, a few things come to mind.

1. Metal landscape fabric staples - the things use to hold down landscape fabric could work if you just push them into the ground a couple of inches so the top U shape portion sticks out of the ground. They're cheap - around $6 for a box of 50 or so.

2. You could make the same thing out of pieces of coat hanger bent into a U shape, but they would rust after a couple of years.

3. Or if you want something visually jarring from a distance, you could use this thick, aluminum wire. At least I think this is aluminum. I bought a huge role of the stuff at a discount place for another use. I paid about $5 for the role - more than I will ever need. It's very flexible, so you can bend it into any shape you want. Again, you could cut smallish lengths of it, bend it into a U shape and push them into the ground to mark each bulb if you want. You would certainly see it if for instance you're standing and hoeing in that area. Maybe it comes in other colors. I've never checked.

One of the reasons I abandoned the garden marker method was I was constantly catching my hoe on them. Because they are so visually unobtrusive, I simply would not see them while standing. This green wire might be too visually obtrusive, but maybe not if used as small U shaped markers.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 11:25AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

my failsafe markers are muscari. i always plant bulbs, ALL bulbs, with muscari, which will send up foliage in the fall to show you that something is planted- other than them- where they are. i plant my bulbs in bottom of hole or trough, cover w/ soil layer to correct depth for muscari, scatter muscari and fertilizer and then top off w/ soil.if i am doing a trough, i save on muscari by planting them on the outer edge of the trough, just enought to outline the area.
best,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 4:25PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Take pictures of the bulbs when blooming or leafed out and "write" some measurements right on them, to remind you before you dig.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 5:33PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Lee Valley garden tool catalog has some copper rings called Remember Rings that I've been considering but they are plastic. Item#PG258 3 for $9.50..I have a 2010 catalog so prices may have changed. Take a look at those. Their website is www.leevalley.com. They seem to be a little more expensive than Home Depot of Lowe's but they have things that those two stores wouldn't have. 1-800-871-8158 Call for a catalog and drool. Maybe some others will have some ideas and post them for you.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 5:59PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

My favourite markers are cut-up strips of aluminum mini-blinds. I cut a point on the end and use the Brother plastic labels. They last a very long time. If frost heaves them partially out of the ground in the winter, just push them back in. They don't bend or break like plastic, and the sharp metal point goes through heavy soil.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 7:31PM
echinaceamaniac(7)

Thanks for all the ideas! I just wanted to have a permanent mark showing where the bulbs are planted so I don't dig them up. I'm always digging and moving things around. I dug up a bulb this week while digging. I have dug into a bulb before and damaged it. It would be nice to have something saying, "Don't Dig Me!!!" LOL.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 10:44PM
hunt4carl

Mindy -

The muscari marker is sheer genius ! Since I don't need to know WHAT
bulbs are planted in any given spot - I'll recognize them when they show
up - the muscari provide the added bonus of random spots of Spring
color. And, if you really NEEDED to know where a particular group of
bulbs were located, you could always identify them with "color-coded"
muscari - blue, purple, white, pink, yellow - just remember to take notes
so you will know what each color represents !

Carl

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
lost blooms on azalea and hydrangea
It got below freezing last night and today I noticed...
southerngardening24
Sponsored Products
Traditional Concept Flush-Mount Ceiling Fan
$300.00 | FRONTGATE
Progress Lighting Lighting Kits AirPro 3-Light White Ceiling Fan Light P2612-30
$52.83 | Home Depot
LED Bronze Gooseneck Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Dunmore Industrial Cage 15" Wide Galvanized Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Arteriors Home - Jenson Table Lamp - 49934-519
Great Furniture Deal
George Kovacs Chrome Circle Black Shade Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Starry Island Pendant Light Fixture
| Dot & Bo
San Chias Mocha Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™