Pruning Roses in fall or spring?

particentral(8)July 30, 2009

Greetings! I am new here and my search for this information led me here. I have 30 plus roses, mostly hybrid teas, and many in planters. They have all done remarkably well this year and are huge, with large, colorful and fragrant blooms. HOWEVER I have one grafted rose from last year that has become a cause of consternation for me. It never died last year, so it didn't get pruned back. Now I have spindly thin, weak canes with small blooms, even though they are prolific.

My feeling is that since we don;t get cold here they don't actually die off and they NEVER go dormant. What do i do about them and when is the best time to cut them back without hurting them.

My best Teas are in planters along my walkway at my grooming shop and are the source of many compliments and lots of enjoyment, but I fear that if I cannot figure out how and when to prune them back next year they will suffer.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

Pruning promotes new growth so prune when you want new growth which is spring. Should you get a bitter cold snap after you pruned in the fall, any new growth would be killed. Likewise in spring but it's less likely to happen.
As you can see not pruning is not good. Modern roses do better with man's interference.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 11:25AM
particentral(8)

OK, so is it too late to do it this year or should I just live with the rose looking awful until next year? I am deheading twice a week and ALL of my guys are gorgeous but for this one. OH and the ones I just bought on clearance at Kmart. Some absolutely gorgeous shrub types to place at the foundation of my shop. Those look great, but the teas....well, lets just say they need help.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 11:46AM
roseman(Z 8A GA)

Here in Georgia, we prune in the spring. In southeast Georgia, we prune on or about Valentine's Day.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 11:51AM
le_jardin_of_roses(zone 10)

I agree with Karl. Do most of your pruning in the spring. You can probably prune off some thin weak growth now, being in zone 8.

Hey, have you checked out the vids from Ashdown Roses by Paul Z? They are so great and maybe can help you out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ashdown Roses Vids

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 11:55AM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

You can prune that rose now as there's still time for it to recover before any damaging cold weather occurs this fall or winter.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 2:40PM
particentral(8)

thanks Karl. That was the information I was trying to figure out. I will get it done in the morning. We planted 8 shrub roses this afternoon and pruned all of them to a degree and it is HOT so I am going to wait until in the morning to attack the Grafted one.

It is funny to me that the shrubs I just bought for less than $5 each look better then the Knockouts the landscaper put in earlier this year....at a much higher cost to me I might add. I am headed back to our local Kmart for 4 more to finish edging my parking lot at work. MUCH better than paying the landscaper.

I used to grow Dahlias in MA but I had no luck with them here in GA and switched to Roses which I could not grow in MA. I am learning and they are looking good (except that one).

The video links were really great as well. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
New DA plants arrived!!
I got home from work yesterday and there was a big...
bethnorcal9
Do growing conditions affect fragrance *types* in your experience
... I mean like making a clove-smelling rose smell...
laura242424
Question about pruning
I am talking about mostly hybrid teas here and I hope...
sara_ann-z6bok
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
English roses for coastal CA, zone 10?
Hello everyone, Spring is almost here and I'm dreaming...
paola_b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™